As a n810 owner I felt let down by nokia when in my eyes they used and abused the maemo community.
It seemed like nokia brought out the tablets as a sort of test product, get the community to do the work then offer very little support. Then on top of this they make the n900 aimed at a more mainstream market, totally ignoring the community’s suggestions and stopping n8x0 support.

I want to know if nokia have done the same with the n900, to me it looks like a great phone and the community support seems top notch as usual but I keep reading about nokia dropping maemo completely, is this true and is there another os in place?

P.S I have searched the forums anc cannot work out an answer, im hoping a more relevant member will know as I haven’t used the forums in quite a while.

yes. Thank god for the NITdroid project though.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jaimex2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 446 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Lake District, Cumbria, UK
don't mean to sound rude but you have clearly not searched enough.

There is a community version of meego in the pipeline all though nokia will not officially be supporting this.

There is also nitdroid which is a hacked version of android....but i would advise you to research on both these options....all the info you need are in the forums here on maemo.org

The Following User Says Thank You to neotalk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 145 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Finland
As far as I know, Flash 10.1 is not coming for Maemo even though it was demoed some time ago. They say it depends on Nokia to pick it up.

After half an year I realised that the Ovi-maps for Maemo is not going to be improved (no voice-navigation). Nokia also stated that MeeGo is not officially coming for N900.

The OS is great with multitasking and community created apps but Nokia is not making it any better. You, me and everyone else bought the phone and there is no obligation/need for Nokia to make it any better or update it...

If there is someone or something to blame it is the company. Unlike the iPhones which are pretty productive even after they are sold for Apple (appstore) they are worth updating (OS4). Maemo however is something like a test for Nokia (again?!?!) and Nokia does need/want to update it.

Still it is a great device. And great community. No confirmation on PR1.3 yet?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtteK0 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 51 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Australia
Maemo is kaput! Meego is go. Meego is a combination of Nokias Maemo and Intels Moblin operating systems. You can flash your N900 to Meego now but don't bother, it isn't ready for prime time yet although it does look promising. Search Meego for handsets.

The Following User Says Thank You to Markosib For This Useful Post:
So nokia have officially ditched us again, the internet tablet communities seem like a testing ground for nokia to find what the community can do then steal it for their 'mainstream' devices. I thought they had done this to make the n900 but now there doing the same to the n900 even though that was 'mainstream'.

Neotalk I appreciate your contribution, I did search the forums but was unaware if meego was supporting the n900 or not as there are conflicting reports.

This has put me in a position now because I really wanted the n900 after seeing its multitasking abilities. But if nokia are not supporting it I can't help feel it will not live up to my expectations, then again they didn’t support the n8x0 and they were great (only with community support)

The Following User Says Thank You to jackdoor For This Useful Post:
just dont buy nokia again and tell other ppl also

dun support the companies that abuse u

simple as that

The Following User Says Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post:
Still, I want the n900 because of multitasking and it looks like one of the best smartphones out there. Has nokia killed it this time or can the community save the device like they did the n8x0.

Reading all this and then knowing the truth.. when ppl ask me which phone am I using,
I say "n900 and its maemo".. not nokia( its just sth printed on the body thas all)

The Following User Says Thank You to PathFinder@9GS For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by PathFinder@9GS View Post
Reading all this and then knowing the truth.. when ppl ask me which phone am I using,
I say "n900 and its maemo".. not nokia( its just sth printed on the body thas all)

tha made me laugh. I think I'm gonna do the same thing as well. I love this community. I'm proud of all the developers and community members who help each other. I promised myself no matter what any other device comes out from Nokia. I'll never go back, n900 is my last nokia phone. They seem not able to respond to customer's needs.

they just keep abandoning their phones.