Hey everyone, how goes it?

Im faily new to the forum but not new to forums in general. I didnt search this due to the slight urgency.

Im looking at the N900 off Ebay. Risky I know, but for around 330-350 USD with shipping, its perfect.

But I live in Canada, and specifically have Fido as a service provider, meaning the 3G wont work in my area.

Im a student going to live on residance, so talking isn't going to be my number one priority. Texting, Facebook, games, Twitter, browsing web pages and going on MSN-esque programs are my main needs. Aswell as a flowing UI, which Maemo can give. I'm not a 'power' user, but I love to tinker with the device (Former Symbian User)

So in final my question is:

Is it worth getting the N900 if my area is not 3G compatible?
Should I focus on Andriod instead?

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Do you worry that you'd get some refurbished N900 (i.e. old hardware with new case) at that price?

The N900 has a pretty good browser and lots of instant messaging support, so it seems to meet your needs. However, unless you specifically need a phone-sized device, I'd suggest getting a netbook.
Otherwise, the N900 is possibly still one of the best phones for web stuff.

Nobody can just "tell" you what to do. If you don't have time to properly research a purchase my recommendation is not to purchase it.

The pro's and con's of N900 and the N900 vs iPhone, vs Android, vs Samsung X, HTC Y, Motorola Z, Google Q.. are all over these forums and will require you to read to decide if it's worth it for what you want. We are not you.. we can't tell you if it's worth your money or not.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
If you're not locked into a Fido contract, you could consider Wind if you want 3G. If you are locked in, are you going to be using Fido or Wifi for internet? If the latter, consider a netbook as wheelybird suggests.
The N900 keyboard is fairly easy to use and easy to adapt to, but not as fast as a full-size (or even mostly full-size) keyboard.

Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Nobody can just "tell" you what to do. If you don't have time to properly research a purchase my recommendation is not to purchase it.
OP states some requirements and asks for advice. That's not quite the same as just posting: "WHAT PHONE SHOULD I BUY PLEASE TELL ME"

FWIW, I agree with your sentiment nonetheless. I doubt OP wants an N900.

Originally Posted by shallimus View Post
OP states some requirements and asks for advice. That's not quite the same as just posting: "WHAT PHONE SHOULD I BUY PLEASE TELL ME"

FWIW, I agree with your sentiment nonetheless. I doubt OP wants an N900.
Not what I meant. People can list things they think of.. but people also have certain expectations/pre-conceived notions they don't even think about. When reading reviews of phones or comparisons, quite often someone will go "Oh Yeah.. I need that too!"..

So again.. reading is the only viable answer. The information is out there already.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Do you worry that you'd get some refurbished N900 (i.e. old hardware with new case) at that price?
Not really, but i wouldn't mind putting in an extra 50 for a more respected buyer.

If you're not locked into a Fido contract, you could consider Wind if you want 3G. If you are locked in, are you going to be using Fido or Wifi for internet? If the latter, consider a netbook as wheelybird suggests.
The N900 keyboard is fairly easy to use and easy to adapt to, but not as fast as a full-size (or even mostly full-size) keyboard.
I already have a netbook for essays and other communications and such, but as a phone user I'll be using both Wifi provided at the University and Fidos 2.5G connection. Yes I am on contract.

The pro's and con's of N900 and the N900 vs iPhone, vs Android, vs Samsung X, HTC Y, Motorola Z, Google Q.. are all over these forums and will require you to read to decide if it's worth it for what you want. We are not you.. we can't tell you if it's worth your money or not.
Will take note of that. i did research the N900, quite a bit, I wanted to get some insight on users who use it without the 3G. It brings me to saying that I love the little nitfits like controlling your TV and such. What other opportunities does Hacking provide?

Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
Does that really matter? If its re-furbed surely there'll be no hardware faults.

I bought my N900 off ebay and it was a vodaphone re-furb, I'm assuming it was a faulty usb or something.

Anyway I got it mint, boxed (red vodaphone box but who really cares right?!), with the screen cover, everything sealed in bags.

£200 (Pound Sterling) and that was a good few months ago.

For prices like that the fact the motherboard might have been in another case, in someone else's pocket, really doesn't bother me.

for me, a large part of the richness and usefulness of the n900 is being able to go online. i have an unlimited 3g data plan for about 30usd a month.

if you don't have 3g, at least consider using wifi for connectivity. however, you are tied down to a limited cover area which means some use cases are off limits (ike gps navigation unless you get something that has the maps loaded locally like sygic or caches the maps).