Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
If you run Ubuntu on your desktop check out the "arista" transcoder. It has a default output for our beloved N770 and N8x0. It may also work for the N900 but I've no way of testing that. The results are excellent and look great on my N810. This is the most polished transcoder I've come across. It automatically recognizes all video devices and determine the input codec. It will even RIP from a commercial DVD if you've installed libdvdcss2.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

The Following User Says Thank You to fragos For This Useful Post:
How does it compare to tablet-encode?

Does it generate H264 baseline level 1.2? (ie. H264 that is playable on an NXX0 device)

Does it determine the gory details automatically? (ie. do all you have to do is point to the source file or track list, give it output file or directory and tell it "best results for Nxx0 device")

I would love something that could generate H264 files that worked well. tablet-encode only does mp4s in avi container.

Last edited by jcharpak; 2010-07-02 at 15:15. Reason: specified deficiencies in tablet-encode

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Originally Posted by jcharpak View Post
How does it compare to tablet-encode?

Does it generate H264 baseline level 1.2? (ie. H264 that is playable on an NXX0 device)

Does it determine the gory details automatically? (ie. do all you have to do is point to the source file or track list, give it output file or directory and tell it "best results for Nxx0 device")

I would love something that could generate H264 files that worked well. tablet-encode only does mp4s in avi container.
In my subjective opinion the user character of this python application is superior to tablet-encode. All technical aspect are handled automatically. You need only select N770 or N800/N810 as the target. I'd think N8x0 would work well on the N900 but don't have one to try.

Arista is a user interface to existing capabilities like ffmpeg which would otherwise be very difficult to use. The Ubuntu file properties of a transcoded file report Codec H.264 / AVC, an AVI container isn't used and the videos display wonderfully on my N810.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1