Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/03/ma...pagewanted=all

Old article, but a great read for anyone who spends a lot of time in a forum like TMO

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Got cliffs notes' of it?
I'll be darned if I waste that much time reading about trolls.

=P
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
It is a great article if you get a few spare minutes. Basically they are emotionally crippled human beings and live in the gutters of society... but you knew that already

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following User Says Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Got cliffs notes' of it?
The author sums up with quotes from a modernized troll forum:
“What makes a bad person? Or a good person? How do you know if you’re a bad person?”

“I’d say empathy is probably a factor.”
My summary:
Even though trolls, and groups of trolls, come in all shapes and sizes, extreme trolls are generally extremely disturbed and have yet to receive a more socially acceptable cure for their trolling symptoms. Instead, they decide to self-medicate by using the internet as their own Texas clock tower.
I'll be darned if I waste that much time reading about trolls.
So, you choose to spend endless hours reading trolls rather than reading about them. Dude, read it. I'm not promising that you'll learn something, but it was fun.

=P
Oh, you were joking.

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Somewhat tangential, but this report on factors leading to the formation of a "criminal mind" seems to shed some light on the Times article:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=127888976