Active Topics

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on May 2010 @ New Zealand
I've seen a lot of gripes here, and I guess the n900 is way from perfect - but hey, yesterday I went for the debian install, then decided to flash the firmware, and when I set up debian again, it was all still there and the easy debian just picked it straight up. Then I installed Stellarium via a chroot session using apt-get, and that ran under the LXDE - albeit very slowly...

That is utterly amazing!!!

I still have to pinch myself. I have GIMP, Firefox/Iceweasel, Open Office... and Stellarium and if that works I guess just about anything in the debian repository will work as well.

This thing pisses on iPhones and Androids from what I can see.

Here's the problem - I cannot see us getting another phone quite like it again. I really can't. I think this phone was a big mistake - Nokia/Maemo gave people too much, and some people haven't appreciated the beauty it. I'd be interested in knowing if the Maemo developers on MeeGo know whether we will get get all of this in MeeGo?

A Linux PC in your pocket? And people moan. C'mon guys. This thing will be sought after for years to come.

I have to say to the folks who developed this thing - well done guys, this is such an amazing thing. I am just so glad I got one.

Mish.

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
Thing is, it definitly is NOT a Phone. It is too big and to powerfull to be a phone. So, people expecting a phone simply dont get what they wanted.

I use my N900 to replace a NETBOOK, and i still carry another mobile with me. So, i do quite like the N900.

But with it ELINT-Capacitys owning an N900 will bring you in Jail in a few Years anyway

CHoMar, carrying a second phone is stupid! The n900 is just fine for making calls. nothing rises above the n900 at the moment.

Originally Posted by sygys View Post
CHoMar, carrying a second phone is stupid! The n900 is just fine for making calls. nothing rises above the n900 at the moment.
I don't use the phone much - in fact, I have had more Skype calls in a month on the n900 than I did in a year on the PC before I got it - and I have had more Skype calls than network calls in the past month, since I got it. This is has to be why dealers have not pushed it - there's not a lot in it for the networks.

Mish.

Starbucks just started their free WiFi, I was kinda laughing at the people with Netbooks and iPads. I have a custom stylus and a pretty darn good resolution.

Coming from the Openmoko Freerunner world, the N900 is a dream boat. I mean, this is what I think the FR should have been back in the day.

It has the openness and playgroundy-ness that the Openmoko community had with the (almost) robustness of desktop Linux.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Thanks, mishmich, for your kind words about Easy Debian.

I think the N900 is the best mobile device ever released, no question.

It really is a laptop replacement that fits in your pocket.

And now that we've got fixes and workarounds for bluetooth keyboard and mouse support (and hopefully, hopefully USB host mode soon), there will be no stopping this device. All we need now is a way to get a big display hooked up, preferably wirelessly. Sure, the N900 has TV-out, but analogue 800x480 isn't what I want

Oh, by the way, there's a Maemo Stellarium in the repositories. Try it out, it probably is better suited to the N900 than the Debian one running in LXDE...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Thanks,

I found Orrorey, but can't locate Stellarium in 'downloads' or App Mgr. Which repository?

Mish.

Posts: 218 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany , Thüringen
so nice that you all get high by your Debian installations but what about People that buyed the N900 as a Phone as it was sold from Nokia.

Sure you can put a Linux Derivat on it wow i own 3 Laptops and 2 Pcs thx why should i do this with my N900? That is the Point i dont understand we all did buyed a Phone from Nokia and when somebody comes here and does write this all say no man you buyed the wrong device..

They say you have to get more information before but back in December 2009 when i was buy my N900 Phone there was no Information about that it will be a buggy experimental Device with a least 4 Updates to PR 1.2 (Pre Release?) and less than basic phone functions.

And Threads like this are makeing me sad why People are so blind and still playing with debian on a small screen ..did you really bought the N900 for this.. did you never used it as a Phone?

And Threads like this are makeing me sad why People are so blind and still playing with debian on a small screen ..did you really bought the N900 for this.. did you never used it as a Phone?

so nice that you all get high by your Debian installations but what about People that buyed the N900 as a Phone as it was sold from Nokia.
Nokia absolutely does not sell it as a phone. This is a quote from their site: "Experience the speed and raw power of the high-performance N900 mobile computer."

Crown77, dude, if you don't like it.. the device isn't for you. What's your problem with people liking it?

Tags
crown77 be, quiet and learn