Active Topics

It's been a great 5 months with the Maemo community since I got my N900 back in Feb, no other place has led me to learn so much and I revel in the collective spirit of everyone on the forums.

Through the meticulous customisation and hacking on my N900, the smallish screen and lack of app support led me to eventually move on to another device, the HTC Leo / HD2.

I switched to the Leo / HD2 a few days ago mainly because the trading platform I was using only support WinMo, not android or maemo. Regardless, I still love the simplicity and depth of Maemo and would not hesitate to jump back on the bandwagon perhaps when there is another meeting of hardware and minds.

The larger screen on the HD2 is a huge boon, especially for viewing trading charts, and HTC's Sense UI is spectacular. The device's hardware is truly quick, WinMo nowhere near the clunky PocketPc 2003 SE I remember using on my cassiopeias or ipaqs.

The N900 will always have a place in my heart as the ultimate geek handheld, I wish everyone well and will definitely miss the times when I was hunched over xterm with furrowed brows!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thelushlife For This Useful Post:
Posts: 55 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Pompey, UK
I wish you the best of luck. As always, it's whatever works best for the individual.

Let's hope that Meego turns out as great as everyone is hoping, and that you return to the community.

you could do a duet with taylor dane...

Posts: 431 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Heh.. apart of many rumors, issues, bugs, disappointments, expectations, speculations, trolls etc etc. Its good peace of hardware and still useful for many things, especially when you enjoying tweaking, polishing, downloading, removing, struggling, finding solutions, and reading this forum

And I have to say this community no matter, contributors, newcomers, old geeks, trolls, etc are playing important role in whole enjoyment to addition to your device.

n900 is exceptional piece of hardware - i love it to death - very big pity the software support doesnt deliver.

In my opinion Windows Mobile and Maemo these days are for the same group of people in my opinion. On both Windows Mobile and Maemo nothing really works until you spend a good amount of time customizing things and tinkering things. While yes Windows Mobile has a larger amount of basic phone apps and the Nokia n900 doesn't, there is no real serious support for Windows Mobile these days unless you download community apps from xda developers which there are many apps for Windows Mobile made by the community. On Maemo it is the same there are many community apps but it lacks basic apps found on Android and Symbian however the community is what keeps the Nokia n900 alive. In my opinion both oses are great for power users, hackers, homebrewers, and tinkerers. I think Windows Mobile is better choice because there is more choice of hardware and form factors and there is more support for it. I would use a Windows Mobile device as long as it is 6.5. I think Windows Mobile and Maemo were both very good ideas just poorly executed.

Last edited by railroadmaster; 2010-06-22 at 22:23.