Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Next week I will be picking up my N900. I want to buy a microSD memorycard for it, but I'm confused.

In the (digital) manual from the N900 I read that I should use microSD cards (also on the Nokia N900 productpage). But when I visit the shop and look at the accesoires there is a microSDHC card listed: "Nokia 16 GB microSD-kaart (MU-44)".

I assume that only microSD's are supported?

HC stands for High Capacity

Originally Posted by Ginge52 View Post
HC stands for High Capacity
I know. But I'm not sure that microSDHC is backwards compatible with microSD.

It definitely supports microSDHC: I've just looked at the 8 gig card I regularly use witn my n900...

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

The Following User Says Thank You to TomJ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 83 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Liverpool, UK
Yes, of course they're fully backwards compatible. It'd be rather silly if it wasn't.

Just like USB 2.0 is backwards compatible with USB 1, etc.

Thanks for the info TomJ, that leaves no room for argument.
Too bad this info isn't put in the manual or on the websites...

Originally Posted by adamFsmith View Post
Yes, of course they're fully backwards compatible. It'd be rather silly if it wasn't.
Except that devices NOT designed for microSDHC cards can't access those (as far as I know, please correct me if I'm wrong). Of course devices designed for microSDHC can access the "older" microSD.

Last edited by redman; 2010-06-18 at 11:06.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by redman View Post
Except that devices NOT designed for microSDHC cards can't access those (as far as I know, please correct me if I'm wrong). Of course devices designed for microSDHC can access the "older" microSD.
That's correct. microSD had a maximum size of 2G (IIRC), and microSDHC has a maximum of 32G. You're unlikely to run across any modern equipment (except for, in my experience, all-in-one card readers) which don't support SDHC.

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ S.E. Michigan USA
The 8 GB microSDHC card in my N900 that works fine.

A 16GB SDHD card works fine in my N800 after updating the firmware to Diablo even though the original firmware only supported SD cards up to 2GB.

This is largely a software issue caused by the older cards using a FAT16 filesystem to support up to 2GB. The newer HD cards use FAT32, and the XD cards will use yet another filesystem to go beyond 32GB.

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Finland
Btw, is A-Data a good memory card manufacturer?

A-Data 8gb class 6 microsd card costs around 26 $ in ebay, and they advertise life-time warranty in A-Data's web site.

Well, I think my nest device will be one supporting SDXC. I have a camera supporting sdxc and I want to use a microSDXC in it and on my next smartphone.