Active Topics

Notices

Poll: Do you like The Finger Friendly keypad?
Poll Options
Do you like The Finger Friendly keypad?

Posts: 431 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Hi guys.

I'm trying to work out new finger friendly keypad.
One finger to be more accurate. So, i recommend to test it on portrait mode. (I've got an better idea for landscape mode anyway)

Inspired of how our finger actually works and angle of his natural movement the layout has been determined itself.
You can easily swipe each keypad row following natural angle as well. My goal was to achieve bigger keys on relatively smaller area.
And remove function keys. Keep in mind this is just some quick prototype of the idea. I had to find some solution for Flaemo and build in a keypad since FlashLauncher crashing using HW . Also for other devices without HW keyboard. However would be nice if somebody could pick up this idea and create native keypad like that. The solution is Open Source

Here you go:

http://www.flaemo.com/keypad/
if you want to play on your N900

go directly to swf file:
http://www.flaemo.com/keypad/index.swf

Let me know your thoughts. Do you like it or not, where you see possibilities to improve it. (In last moment I've added support for left Handed as well

For example for me... I get use to the normal keyboard layout and faced eye-finger coordination issue. Now is harder to read the letters if they are skewed. But after couple of minutes playing around getting better.

Edit:
Improvements
Back button goes to the 2nd row. This way I could increase size of the buttons and tweak the angle.
press and hold Shift - become caps lock
press and hold Back - become clear all
Expandable keys?

here is an screen grab of original mock-up

Last edited by devu; 2010-06-19 at 21:54. Reason: typo

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to devu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
Originally Posted by devu View Post
Hi guys.

I'm trying to work out new finger friendly keypad.
One finger to be more accurate. So, i recommend to test it on portrait mode. (I've got an better idea for landscape mode anyway)

Inspired of how our finger actually works and angle of his natural movement the layout has been determined itself.
You can easily swipe each keypad row following natural angle as well. My goal was to achieve bigger keys on relatively smaller area.
And remove function keys. Keep in mind this is just some quick prototype of the idea. I had to find some solution for Flaemo and build in a keypad since flash crashing using FlashLauncher. Also other devices without HW keyboard. However would be nice if somebody could pick up this idea and create native keypad like that. The solution is Open Source

Here you go:

http://www.flaemo.com/keypad/
if you want to play on your N900

go directly to swf file:
http://www.flaemo.com/keypad/index.swf

Let me know your thoughts. Do you like it or not, where you see possibilities to improve it. (In last moment I've added support for left Handed as well

For example for me... I get use to to normal keyboard layout and faced eye-finger coordination issue. Now is harder to read the letters if they are skewed. But after couple of minutes playing around getting better.
That is pretty nifty.

Don't know if it's against the whole initial purpose, but maybe having a button next to 'OK' to change entire sets (i.e. qwerty to symbols, and back) would be a bit easier, instead of flicking through each row to find what you need (if you're not familiar with the layout or lucky).

Sorry about the rocky first encounter several months ago. I've grown.
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

The Following User Says Thank You to xomm For This Useful Post:
I think it has potential - obviously in portrait mode more than in landscape.

The only thing is that not much on the N900 actually works in portrait mode!

For example I wish conversations would work in portrait, because it's when writing text messages that it's really useful to be able to do it one handed.

I think the most relevant test for your system would be to compare it with T9 input, as I reckon T9 might be quicker than one-finger qwerty typing.

Definitely worth pursuing your idea though.

The Following User Says Thank You to col37400 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xomm View Post
That is pretty nifty.

Don't know if it's against the whole initial purpose, but maybe having a button next to 'OK' to change entire sets (i.e. qwerty to symbols, and back) would be a bit easier, instead of flicking through each row to find what you need (if you're not familiar with the layout or lucky).

Sorry about the rocky first encounter several months ago. I've grown.
There is a mess with sets at the moment anyway. It was just to present functionality itself. But I thought would be nice to flick one row for example when you need enter the numbers only. But ability to change whole set at once... I agree with you. But just trying to avoid adding more function buttons. What if you could swap whole set by dragging 2nd ring next to OK button?

Last edited by devu; 2010-06-14 at 13:17.

Anybody else? 2:1 showing me that this is useless for 30% of people

Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
Looks cool, it would even be useful in landscape mode if you provide half the row on left side i.e. qwert, and yuiop on the other side. I think I've seen this setup on a Win XP tablet computer

Lets hope someone build a native virtual keyboard like this

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
There is a mess with sets at the moment anyway. It was just to present functionality itself. But I thought would be nice to flick one row for example when you need enter the numbers only. But ability to change whole set at once... I agree with you. But just trying to avoid adding more function buttons. What if you could swap whole set by dragging 2nd ring next to OK button?
Too many gestures can begin to make it hard to type. You only want to have gestures in this case going side-to-side, or else it becomes too easy to mistakenly move something.

Dragging the OK row up could be an option. (Heck, maybe just have a single function button next to OK, but different gestures for different functions.) But then again, it might be a bit cumbersome to figure out.
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

Originally Posted by ToJa92 View Post
Looks cool, it would even be useful in landscape mode if you provide half the row on left side i.e. qwert, and yuiop on the other side. I think I've seen this setup on a Win XP tablet computer

Lets hope someone build a native virtual keyboard like this
I've change the landscape mode now. Is that what you meant?

Originally Posted by xomm View Post
Too many gestures can begin to make it hard to type. You only want to have gestures in this case going side-to-side, or else it becomes too easy to mistakenly move something.

Dragging the OK row up could be an option. (Heck, maybe just have a single function button next to OK, but different gestures for different functions.) But then again, it might be a bit cumbersome to figure out.
More I'm playing with this more I agree with you. I will change that (and in fact simplify the code) by swapping whole set of rows no matter witch row you touching. There is some function to avoid spinning it by mistake. Always measure the angle. Until reach 5 degrees will never start spinning if will not reach more than 10 degrees will never change the set but will back to original position.

Last edited by devu; 2010-06-14 at 19:25.

Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
I've change the landscape mode now. Is that what you meant?
Yeah, but maybe a bit more like a quarter of a circle? So that W is more towards the left edge of the screen but Y is more towards the bottom of the screen?

Originally Posted by ToJa92 View Post
Yeah, but maybe a bit more like a quarter of a circle? So that W is more towards the left edge of the screen but Y is more towards the bottom of the screen?
Really? When you holding device in one hand I agree with you.
But if in Landscape mode I guess you hold it in 2 hands and the way how I am holding it will determine the angle and arc. Are your fingers really sticking out from the coroners of device like 45 degrees?

There is another one problem in MicroB you need to use interactive mode so... in this case I had to leave those areas empty.

And there is another one issue:
When you would like to make an symmetrical solution is just impossible regarding to the layout of normal keyboard.

Those parts you can make symmetrical.

left hand__________right hand

q_w_e_r_t_y_____ u_i_o_p_[_]_
_a_s_d_f_g_______ j_k_l_;_'__
__z_x_c_v_________ m_,_._/__

but

___________ h
___________b_n
remains

Last edited by devu; 2010-06-14 at 19:37.