I really dont get this..

If i do apt-get update and apt-get upgrade i am done in no time.

But if i do what i see the same in the AppManager, yes also in the one from 1.2 that was reported as much faster... it is soo slow.. All things take for ever

Just starting it and i see my cpu spiking (apt-worker)
I guess this is opening the app manager now auto updates every time you start appmanager (why is this in 1.1.1 i had i think an option to say update now??)
But why does this take so much longer then doing it from the command line??
(and way way more cpu power, through the command line almost no cpu power is used, its more downloading)

And the same for updating, or if i downloaded an app then it is also crunching and crunching after every install.. Why??

For now i do all my updates through the xterminal and only touch appmanager when i really want do download something new.. But this should really be looked at in my point of view.

Posts: 208 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Belgium
i have the same problem in the app manager and dont know why.

i allready reflashed emmc and reinstalled 1.2 and it's a little bit better but still slow.

The app manager is such a drag to use, I think it deserves a bug report

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Yes, definitely agree that performance has gotten worse with PR1.2

I was therefore tempted to try "apt-get" just to see the difference and rather strangely it found a bunch of updates that the app manager never showed me. I have applied them and rebooted the N900 and will see how it goes. I'm wondering if some of these missing updates were causing some issue for me, especially with general performance when I'm connected to Skype.

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kassel, Hesse, Germany
The problem lies in the way hildon-application-manager (ham) interacts with APT. Instead of utilizing the apt-pkg library, the ham launches a subprocess (apt-worker) to communicate with APT. This subprocess has to parse the sources list, read the cache, and communicate with ham via the standard file descriptors (stdout, stdin, stderr). That's mostly done for security purposes I guess, to not have ham run as root.

Fixing this does not look easy to me, and especially I would not consider Nokia to fix this for fremantle. It might require changes to the protocol used by apt-worker and could easily break things.

See http://wiki.debian.org/JulianAndresKlode and http://jak-linux.org/.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
interesting enough, my ham i much faster with pr1.2. With only the proper repos enabled it's quite nice. Adding -testing and -devel makes it very slow. Still faster than pre pr1.2 ham.
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

Originally Posted by jak View Post
The problem lies in the way hildon-application-manager (ham) interacts with APT. Instead of utilizing the apt-pkg library, the ham launches a subprocess (apt-worker) to communicate with APT. This subprocess has to parse the sources list, read the cache, and communicate with ham via the standard file descriptors (stdout, stdin, stderr). That's mostly done for security purposes I guess, to not have ham run as root.

Fixing this does not look easy to me, and especially I would not consider Nokia to fix this for fremantle. It might require changes to the protocol used by apt-worker and could easily break things.

ah so the thing is, can the community not create a nice ui over apt-pgk? that then has to run as root ofcourse but with much more speed?

Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
Originally Posted by jcompagner View Post
ah so the thing is, can the community not create a nice ui over apt-pgk? that then has to run as root ofcourse but with much more speed?
hmm I possibly saw something like that in the repos. Let me get back to you on that.

EDIT couldn't find it. Perhaps I was mistaken :/

Anyway yes I suppose that could be a good idea.
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

Last edited by mece; 2010-06-01 at 10:47.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA

Isn't it done for the search capabilities from within Hildon Application Manager too?

SLN member # 009

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria

Well, it won't be fixed in Harmattan either...