Active Topics

Posts: 111 | Thanked: 87 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Plovdiv, Bulgaria
This morning I updated my titan kernel to the latest version. Everything was fine,I restarted the phone etc etc... At around 12h the phone started giving some strange errors like " Internal error caused application "Photos" to be closed" ( and I haven't even opened photos), desktop widgets started disappearing, and other strange **** like that... I restarted the device 2-3 times but with no effect.
Then I tried to Uninstall the kernel through application manager - first removed the kernel power setings,then tried the actual kernel itself. It said that it can be removed only by kernel remover or something like that which was in my applications menu. I started that up and read the description which said there needs to be a active network connection,and at the moment I didn't have one so I closed it before starting the uninstall.
Tried to reboot the device again - shut it down and tried to start up.... And here is where all went to hell. The device starts up,I get the " N O K I A " sign,then I get the 4 "dots" that flash,the notification light is glowing in that sky-blue colour and thats it. Then it suddenly stops and nothing happens. I tried to connect it to the charger - the phone went even more nuts and started restarting non stop
If anyone can tell me what can I do to reflash the device or fix it in some other easier way I'd be really grateful... Any help will be appreciated

Damn this pisses me off! I got same problem here!!!!

The last couple of days all my widgets kept disappering from my desktop spontaneously...so I fgured to de-install the last added apps. and fixing the problem that way.

I tried to deinstall wifi-hotspot, but the power-users-kernel app seemed to be a part of it, so i tried to de-install it first.
The de-install wasnt succesfull so i thought to reboot it and try again...

well...rebooting actualy became a permanent shutdown!

Trying to restart it gave the same result as Unhuman describes.
Connecting it to my PC (win7) wont work either (usb-port keeps connecting and disconnecting immediatly)

reflashing?...sure would like to, but it seems USB isnt supported anymore by my N900

by the way.....came up with a new name for this device:

-------------Nightmare900------------

any support or sugesstion on how to un-bricking it would be appreciated.

How do you mean the USB is not supported anymore.?
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by TylerD View Post
-------------Nightmare900------------
Have you flashed your device with titans kernels? If so then Let me introduce you to the conductor of horrorshow Nightmare900....*tatatatatatatata*
YOU

If not then please take it to Nokia support because if usb isn't even recgonized when booting to flash mode then there is nothing what you can do.

Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
I got that problem about two days ago but I managed to reflash it yesterday and after that I didn't want to have a custom kernel...

"reflashing?...sure would like to, but it seems USB isnt supported anymore by my N900 "

Have you tried?

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Granada, Spain
Titan's kernels v28-v31 (last two days) had these issues. v32, available since last night, fixes them...

If you're going to install custom kernels, keep abreast of the topic on the forums covering them and then you'd know this stuff without littering the forums with extra topics.

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Why are people so lazy? This info have been told numerous times... A simple search would give you the answer.

http://wiki.maemo.org/Reflashing

Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
Running the risk of sounding a bit cold, but:

What is it with people and rebooting? Especially if you've just done something that failed, like uninstalling something. To reboot in that state is not to return to some "known state", it's to blow away any trace of what might be working that's loaded into memory and really force everything to get back up using what's left.

The N900 is not an Etch-a-Sketch where turning it upside down and shaking will restore it. It's not sane to use the Windows way of "fixing things". Reboot might fix problems with drivers that are acting up but to use it while removing parts of the system and failing is just stupid. Sad but true.

So, please, don't try to reboot your way out of trouble, try to actually fix it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Joorin For This Useful Post:
The N900 is not an Etch-a-Sketch
It isn't? Damn that explains a great deal. Guess I will stop shaking it violently now
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Joorin View Post
So, please, don't try to reboot your way out of trouble, try to actually fix it.
Trust me itīs not always easy. I tried to learn but ended up flashing.
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...2&postcount=49
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=46135
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=42500
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8723
http://wiki.maemo.org/Bugs:Stock_answers#Memory_issues

And if you ask me I think that might be one of reasons why testing 1.2 is taking so long. For me it took 4-5 days uptime before my device started to slow down. Spotting memory issues is job for some Einsteins from point of power user who has never ever coded single line.