HI All,

My N800 has developed a 'ghost image' for all displays. The screen displays an overlapping image as if the refresh rate was out-of-sync. It occurs straight from 'NOKIA' at startup, through the 'two hands' and stays once fully booted. It is so bad, the double image makes the tablet usuable.

The problem started after full boot after a full charge (tablet charged in 'off' position). The tablet sat for a week or so.

Here's the weird things: The last time I was using it I upgraded the OWSWeather and Pidgin. They both worked fine for the length of time before I turned the tablet 'off.' When I did the Weather update, the reset resulted in the Weather program not displaying at startup. I shut off the Radio and RSS applets that start at boot and the Weather popped up working fine. When starting Pidgin, the same thing happened and I was able to have Pidgin run by just turning an applet on/off.

I have now noticed the Weather program is not running and and Pidgin is no longer a choice in the 'Internet' program group I had placed it in. I am saying both programs seem to be 'uninstalled ' as a Windows term.

I am thinking an update has caused a conflict and at startup the processor is flickering the screen and causing the 'ghost image.' Other than the double-vision display the unit appears fine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks Everyone!

The fact that it occurs very early in the boot process, suggests that it's a hardware problem or a low-level firmware problem. Reflash and hope for the best?

Hi,

My N800 still starts up with the out-of-phase 'ghost image.' But now, after it seems to warm up (about 5 minutes) the ghosting slowly fades away. I do not have any explanation for you why this is happening. I thought it was linked to a program running in the background, but it ghosts even when i removed them.

If yours just started doing it, as mine did about 6 months ago, it does not go away. I actually stopped using mine for about two months and then i noticed it would fade away after being on for about 15 minutes. Now that time is down to 5 minutes. Does yours have the ghost image when "NOKIA" message is on the boot screen? My N800 has it right through the boot sequence.

Let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks.

Fortunately, my N800 doesn't suffer from the ghosting you describe.

I've seen cold LCD screens have ghosting (i.e. left in the car on a cold day), but I've never seen it on my N800.

Sounds like something wrong with a cable or PCB.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Or simply that the screen is dying (mine did, not the same symptoms but heat fixed it temporarily in my case too)

sometimes i get lines across the screen when i bring it out of idle... but they disappear after a few seconds

To be honest, when i first saw this thread title i was thinking something like out of "The Ring"