Active Topics

Poll: Will you switch to sprint for the EVO 4G?
Poll Options
Will you switch to sprint for the EVO 4G?

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
This phone is everything the nokia internet tablet must have been...

Very hard to resist even for a nokia fan boy like me....

no effin way

a. wimax is just a gimmick IMO. very little coverage, not much faster than hspa+, many places you might get it might have wifi anyway

b. sprint service structure is lame. no sim cards, forced contracts, etc

c.. cdma < gsm for many reasons IMO

Nope, left Sprint (contract long expired) for TMobile and the N900. In 3-4 years I'll be looking for my next device. Whether it be a mobile computer (unlikely since I won't need that capability by then.. out of graduate school) or a smartphone.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

But what if HTC would release a GSM EVO? Then will you guys buy it or wait for the meego device to be announced in september?

Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
But what if HTC would release a GSM EVO? Then will you guys buy it or wait for the meego device to be announced in september?
maybe if:

there was one with a keyboard

and

it was available unlocked

there is no way i am going back to cdma. i switch my sim card all the time amongst a handful of phones depending on what i am going to be doing. i love the flexibility. no contract either, all bought outright.

i am definitely going to get this n8 when it comes out though just for the camera. megapixels aside, it looks like this thing is going to produce the best pictures from a device with gsm connectivity outmthere.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I'm a Sprint customer already. I'm leaving for Tmobile and the N900. One thing is that I'm finding the prepaid Tmobile option much more cost effective for my uses with the N900 than just about anything else. My current pay by the day plan is potentially going to be approximately the cost of a Tracfone, because I rely primarily rely on my home wireless for the la-di-dah features of the N900, but I really don't need the actual Internet much when I'm out and about. I am beginning to think that a lot of this phone stuff and constant Internet access stuff is pure fantasy -- who really needs 24 hour access to this site or practially any site?

So I'm figuring I can mostly live in N900 paradise at my house and other WiFi sites and save my money. You go ahead with your $50 or more plans and boast about your phones.

Last edited by geneven; 2010-05-13 at 01:11.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 71 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ CT, USA
It looks like a nice device, though maybe a little large for my taste--I like my phones clipped to my belt. However, I don't know for how much longer it makes sense to switch right now, unless your current phone breaks. We're approaching the end of the current generation of smartphones and A9 cortex based phones and tablets should start appearing within the next 12 to 18 months. OMAP4 and tegra2 will give us 1080p encode and decode, higher resolution cameras, better browsing, and potentially longer battery life.

Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
Like I said, I'm not getting another device (besides a large screen tablet) for 3-4 years. Though what I'm looking for in my next device in a few years

Large screen
Hardware keyboard
Screen that has accuracy of resistive with sensitivity of capacitative
HDMI Out (or whatever video standard at that point)
Nice camera
At least 32 GB of storage space
A few more things I forgot

No preference for carrier

Probably running Android (or Meego if it's any good).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I'm a Sprint customer already. I'm leaving for Tmobile and the N900. One thing is that I'm finding the prepaid Tmobile option must more cost effective for my uses with the N900 than just about anything else. My current pay by the day plan is potentially going to be approximately the cost of a Tracfone, because I rely primarily rely on my home wireless for the la-di-dah features of the N900, but I really don't need the actual Internet much when I'm out and about. I am beginning to think that a lot of this phone stuff and constant Internet access stuff is pure fantasy -- who really needs 24 hour access to this site or practially any site?

So I'm figuring I can mostly live in N900 paradise at my house and other WiFi sites and save my money. You go ahead with your $50 or more plans and boast about your phones.
Actually the lack of contract and the 10$ internet plan is what makes me stay with the n900 even though the htc evo looks like a dream come true...

As far as I know, Sprint is the only telco "in the world" moving to WiMax...at least for now. Coupled w/the fact that people are having reception/call quality issues w/the Incredible, an issue I think may be inherent with most HTC phones, I'll pass.