Notices

Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
Btw, maybe we should start a new thread for the Microemulator
Hehe .. think so too
It would be not so nice to simply "hijack" the "Screenshot of Opera Mini on N900" thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=52062

Originally Posted by barteo View Post
I'd like to improve experience of MicroEmulator a bit. For the start I identified the following tasks:
1. start MicroEmulator with the full screen size by default
2. remove status bar with "Resize" button
3. implement menu bar natively (activate menu by pressing the title bar)

Anyone knows how to access the title bar menu system from Java?
Well, you can try to go with SWT.
I made a port of SWT to the hildon UI and put the result named libswt-hildon into extras-testing.
Also see the following thread for more info about the SWT hildon port: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=40778

The Following User Says Thank You to Wonko For This Useful Post:
is it possible to use jdownloader with that?

Originally Posted by Wonko View Post
Well, you can try to go with SWT.
I made a port of SWT to the hildon UI and put the result named libswt-hildon into extras-testing.
Also see the following thread for more info about the SWT hildon port: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=40778
In the past MicroEmulator had SWT UI target. First Maemo port of Java ME in 2006 was created with the SWT library: http://www.microemu.org/maemo. For a two years it is no longer maintained though. It would be possible to restart SWT project with the reasonable effort, I think. We just need more people to participate in that task.

The Following User Says Thank You to barteo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by barteo View Post
In the past MicroEmulator had SWT UI target. First Maemo port of Java ME in 2006 was created with the SWT library: http://www.microemu.org/maemo. For a two years it is no longer maintained though. It would be possible to restart SWT project with the reasonable effort, I think. We just need more people to participate in that task.
I see, though I only had a short look at the code.
So the SWT UI target provides native SWT controls for J2ME applications (i.e. not only native controls for the MicroEmulator itself but also for the J2ME applications run inside the emulator), right?
This could be an interesting project.

Unfortunately I am really short of time at the moment.
Though, I'll try to keep up to date with what's happening here.

What do you think would be more practical
- to adapt the old code,
- or to start over from scratch?

Of course it would be a good idea to take the old code as some starting point. It's just I don't know how much has changed during the past two years and how well the old SWT UI code integrates into the current MicroEmulator version, if at all.

Originally Posted by raetzer View Post
is it possible to use jdownloader with that?
Isn't jdownloader a "normal" (i.e. J2SE) Java application?
If so you might want to install icedtea6 which is available in extras-testing and try if it works.

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
how do we use this app thanks, i want to run java app on my n900

Moderator | Posts: 3,716 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by f2thak View Post
how do we use this app thanks, i want to run java app on my n900
Just download icetead6 and micro emulator.
Then put the JAR files that you want to open anywhere you like in your phone. (I suggest that you will make a new folder called Java)
Start MicroEmulator, choose the Jar file and you're ready to go

I see, though I only had a short look at the code.
So the SWT UI target provides native SWT controls for J2ME applications (i.e. not only native controls for the MicroEmulator itself but also for the J2ME applications run inside the emulator), right?
This could be an interesting project.
Current SWT UI target didn't provide native controls translation from MIDP to SWT. All the MIDP controls are rendered inside the Canvas.

What do you think would be more practical
- to adapt the old code,
- or to start over from scratch?

Of course it would be a good idea to take the old code as some starting point. It's just I don't know how much has changed during the past two years and how well the old SWT UI code integrates into the current MicroEmulator version, if at all.
I think better option would be start from scratch, but reuse the existing Android device layer as a starting point which is well written and actively maintained. I'm sure a lot of existing SWT UI target code can be reused too (like a javax.microedition.Graphics implementation). Additional benefit of using this strategy is that Android porting framework supports native translation of MIDP controls to the native target UI library components.

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
so this wont run *.sis java files??

Originally Posted by f2thak View Post
so this wont run *.sis java files??
AFAIK, .sis are symbian binaries, not java