Active Topics

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Yes this is real, and it runs surprising ok, I still have a lot to set up, its about 600MB + flash

KDE 3.4.3 on N800, oh how sweet it is!! Now thats a screen shot!! And konqurer runs real nice too...

Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
Thats awesome!
You have a pm.

Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
penguinbait you think gkrellm would be possible to port?
I know some body try once for the OS2006 but it was not posible..
What do you think?

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Finland
is this same kind of "trick" that thoughtfix did with windows ?
:-)

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barcelona, Spain
Am i the only one that sees the VNC title bar?

Ton.

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Italy
Originally Posted by Toontje View Post
Am i the only one that sees the VNC title bar?

Ton.
Guess it is the method he uses to capture the screen since he cannot use the classical applet used for maemo.

As far as I remember it was the same when the first images of ROX appeared.

Omar

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
TBH, that makes you *really* appreciate the Hildon interface: there's about 240px of usable browser space, the rest being taken up my UI elements much too large for the screen.

That's going to be the problem with many of these hacks, unfortunately.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by aflegg View Post
TBH, that makes you *really* appreciate the Hildon interface: there's about 240px of usable browser space, the rest being taken up my UI elements much too large for the screen.

That's going to be the problem with many of these hacks, unfortunately.
IIRC, just about anything can be turned off in KDE, e.g. the statusbar is completely collapsible. The same goes for Konqueror (doesn't it have a fullscreen mode?).

Now, "600 MB +" makes me go "Ouch!", but I guess that with 8 GB cards now and bigger coming, I really should recalibrate my ouch-threshold.

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fishers, Indiana
This type of thing is very exciting and I really enjoy seeing progress porting things. I wish there was some way to make a clean transition to KDE or some other mature environment without missing critical parts-- device-specific controls for bluetooth/network, handwriting/keyboard input, and power management including locking/turning off the screen. The most painful problem revolves around input, since without a hardware keyboard and mouse KDE (and other environments) is somewhat crippled. It's really nice to have the Hildon keyboard pop up for all the text input fields, and not having a middle/right mouse button equivalent for KDE is rough. I've tried hacking on the X server to enable a bluetooth mouse but haven't had much luck yet-- displaying a cursor is easy, getting it to do anything, not so much.

Back on topic, how much memory does KDE use, penguinbait? I imagine it'd be kind of a tight fit in 128M.

Larry

If that is real... then damn.. Great job on getting all those libraries to compile for the arm. Now.. we get a righclick and we would reallly have something.

(I soo need to get my sdk running again so I can tinker with this stuff)