Active Topics

I really thought this would never happen to me after keeping my n95 intact for 3 years, but it seems that my luck is over now....

Long story short I was accidentally pushed against a wall and since I keep my n900 in my jeans front´s pocket the screen was broken.

The only options I seem to have are:

A) Do nothing (Not gonna happen)

B) Get another one (Too expensive)

C) Replace the screen myself

As much as I love to do things myself I would like to keep any type of screwdriver or tool, away from my n900. I live in Mexico so sending it back to nokia is not an option (Please correct me if I´m wrong). From the threads i have read about broken screens it seems that nokia will charge at least $120 USD to replace the screen, so even if I can send it back it is quite expensive and it would be at least 2 months without my device (personal experience).

http://www.mobile-phone-lcd.com/noki...des-p-331.html

That website seems to be my only option for replacing the screen as it would seem, so I would like to know if any of you have dealt with them or if you can provide me with any piece of advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by DashX0; 2010-05-04 at 06:08.

I've had good results from cnn.cn -- although shipping can be slow.

http://cnn.cn/shop/advanced_search_r....x=0&image.y=0

yikes, that's sad to hear man. Cnn.Cn is a trusted site They sell OEM parts. I've ordered from them before.

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
I would get Nokia to fix it. There's less risk in messing it up further. I've had bad experiences buying replacement phone screens that are lower brightness and quality than the original in the past.

change it yourself man. Straight up open source dunno about cnn.cn, but ive changed plenty of screens on my nokias. the first one was on my 5110 and i was 15 years old back then. Go pimpin!

Look through this thread:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=shattered
It describes my unlucky experience, similar to yours though. I have had my screen replaced since the last post there Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to RafaLL92 For This Useful Post:
Had the exact same problem. Replaced it myself with a screen from mobile-phone-lcd. Delivered to Aus in 3 days. Had some issues with removing the screw on the back of the screen as the previous owner had stripped it, but otherwise its a very simple process.

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ S.E. Michigan USA
If it were mine, I would try to fix it myself. This video shows how to disassemble the N900.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVEHm325-z8

It looks easy - just remove the screws and disconnect the cables. The actual LCD display is covered by a piece of glass so the repair should be relatively inexpensive if the display still works.

I haven't ordered repair parts, but I have seen threads on the forum that mention sources that are known to be reliable.

Good luck!

Thanks to everyone, I think i will follow your advice and just do it myself. Rafall: yeah I saw that thread before, nice to see it had a happy ending (an expensive one too).
Diassembly does not seem that hard so I will just watch the video while I´m replacing the screen.
Now, is there anything important I need to know before replacing the screen?

Thanks in advance

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by DashX0 View Post
Thanks to everyone, I think i will follow your advice and just do it myself. Rafall: yeah I saw that thread before, nice to see it had a happy ending (an expensive one too).
Diassembly does not seem that hard so I will just watch the video while I´m replacing the screen.
Now, is there anything important I need to know before replacing the screen?

Thanks in advance
Yep you will be in fact invalidating your so called Nokia warranty for what thats worth ha.