Active Topics

Notices

I was performing a package maintenance (wiki link in signature) on my friend's phone and i purged ca. 20 packages which were not in ii state and autoremoved another one with apt-get. I don't really remember which packages were there, but they were all from -testing at most, none from -devel. Anyway, a certain app (its removal script obviously) removed /opt symlink (to /home/opt) which broke apps and copied whole /home directory into itself which caused /home partition to become full. I noticed both things and simply recreated the symlink and deleted /home/home dir, which fixed the issues.

I know I should remember which pkgs exactly was I poking with, but you know how it is. But I'm still not as incompetent as a dev who put 'rm /opt' and 'cp /home /home/' into its script. How can you not notice it if you can code and/or compile? Not to mention another winner which I noticed purging from my device. It tried to delete whole /etc, good that it didn't have -r option. I mean seriously, wtf is with those removal scripts? Devs revenging for not choosing their software?

Do you have a list of the packages?

Even if you don't know which one it is, a list of packages to examine would be extremely helpful.

Serious issue.
First, at least, get a list of packages which are NOT guilty:
# dpkg -l

On RPM-system this would not be such a mystery:
/var/log/rpmpkgs, /var/log/yum.log
And in Fedora, SELinux may have prevented stuff like that from uninstall scripts.

Last edited by zimon; 2010-04-24 at 12:22.

Wow that is scary as hell

Posts: 539 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Berlin, Germany
Wow! I'm not stupid! Have a look at the thread I started yesterday [1], it looks like being exactly the same problem. I didn't notice a removal of the /opt link but I'll have a look into the manual backup I took. It should contain all files, dirs and links.

Do you remember having openjazz or hexen2 in the list of removed apps? I guess it might be related to one of these. Apologies to the authors of these two apps if it's not!

[1] http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=50837

Originally Posted by rooted View Post
I know, I know. Must find dpkg log, does M5 have it somewhere?
As far as I know the log gets purged after closing app-manager. Don't know wether apt-get creates a log at all on M5. I do a manual log/list via dpkg -l some times. Helps in such cases.

huh, i think i have same problems

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...d=1#post625779

i install yesterday jazz & heroes 2, one of those to blame?

Kristijan

Originally Posted by janezek View Post
huh, i think i have same problems

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...d=1#post625779

i install yesterday jazz & heroes 2, one of those to blame?
I guess: yes.

Looks like openjazz is the common link...