Active Topics

With the sdk, many debug messages are visible in my terminal:

Code:
hildon-input-method[4587]: GLIB WARNING ** default - Replacing for 1 2
hildon-input-method[4587]: GLIB DEBUG default - User does not have a word frequency file, loading system file
hildon-input-method[4587]: GLIB WARNING ** default - Failed to open system word frequency file '/usr/share/cellwriter/wordfreq' for reading: No such file or directory
My input plugin runs fine in the SDK but not on my n900, I am looking for a good way to debug it.

Does anyone know where to get (or activate) the hildon-input-method logs?

How about the logs for the other applications? /var/log is empty and ~/.xsession-errors doesn't exist.

Thanks

Hi,

this page should help you. You have to install and start, syslogd / klogd, as described in the wiki-page.

Daniel

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to danielwilms For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
also it's not that help but u can check dmesg from terminal or run programs from terminal to check for errors

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
also it's not that help but u can check dmesg from terminal or run programs from terminal to check for errors
The GLog log handler in Maemo 5 is set to output messages to the syslog, as danielwilms mentioned. Of course, any messages printed using g_warning (), g_debug (), etc. will be handled using GLog and sent to the syslog. A useful trick for applications that you can't run from the terminal directly, but rather annoying when you are able to do so... When I'm able to do so, g_printerr () FTW.

Oh, if you are able to insert gtk-parasite into your application (GTK_MODULES), it will cause all messages to be printed on stderr

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 235 | Thanked: 89 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ italy
to solve problem, as wrote in the wiki, of full /rootfs partition from syslog, can I move /var/log directory to Mydocs and create a symlink to it?

Posts: 79 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Devon, UK
Originally Posted by maemo.it View Post
to solve problem, as wrote in the wiki, of full /rootfs partition from syslog, can I move /var/log directory to Mydocs and create a symlink to it?
I'm not sure, but I doubt it as syslogd almost certainly starts before MyDocs is mounted.

Originally Posted by sutaburosu View Post
I'm not sure, but I doubt it as syslogd almost certainly starts before MyDocs is mounted.
Can I set a time-delay (eg.start syslogd after xx minutes after boot...) or condition (like an: if Mydocs is mounted then start syslogd)?

Posts: 79 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Devon, UK
Being a Gentoo and openrc user I don't know enough about the Debian/Maemo sysvinit boot sequence to answer this.
If keeping historical syslog output is important to you, I would use cron to schedule compressed backups to MyDocs to minimise rootfs space usage.

The Following User Says Thank You to sutaburosu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sutaburosu View Post
Being a Gentoo and openrc user I don't know enough about the Debian/Maemo sysvinit boot sequence to answer this.
If keeping historical syslog output is important to you, I would use cron to schedule compressed backups to MyDocs to minimise rootfs space usage.
Do you mean: periodically automatically a script takes syslog files from /var/log, compress and move its to Mydocs?
Great idea!
I suppose this script should be like this:
in crontab:
Code:
0 14 1* * mv /var/log/syslog(.txt? I don't remember) /home/user/Mydocs/syslogsarchive
right?

hi guys, I had an idea.

I made a script: delete_syslog_script
Code:
#!/bin/sh
cat /dev/null > /var/log/syslog
I gave right permissions to my script:
Code:
chown root /home/user/delete_syslog_script
chmod 4755 /home/user/delete_syslog_script
and I installed fcron.