Posts: 323 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gent, Belgium
Hi, as part of the overclocking fun I wanted to restore the mp-fremantle-generic-pr package but apt-get said it couldn't find a source anymore to reinstall from. I can see sees it's installed via "atp-cache search" (global firmware) but it can't reinstall

Also, as part of the Mobilehotspot installation, my n900 needs the wireless-tools package but also here apt-get claims it coulnd't find an installation source for it. It doesn't have anything in it's cache.

Which leads me to believe my standard Nokia repository defintions are messed up. Can someone tell me which repository these 2 pacakges should be in and their definitions in HAM, then I can compare and adjust if needed.

Thanks.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
I think something is up. far too many apps that won't upgrade properly, missing parts, etc... Wasn't APT supposed to prevent all that?

I started my OC experiiences with the Lehto kernels. Already after my first kernel I wanted to get my system info back so I did as suggested in the thread. In the mean time I saw plenty of other people having the same issue but not a single good answer. the problem got totally ignored.

Now with the wireless-tools also not being downloadble I begin to suspect a problem on my own config. That's why I ask for settings from people who have a working config, preferably using one of these packages.

Or indeed they might be preparing for the big '1.2' push Let's hope so ... ?

We are in so called "dependency hell" situation, which were common in PC Linux distributions many years ago but which have been solved by package managers and policies.
What is broken here, is policy.

It doesn't seem to be a matter of dependencies not being fullfilled, it's just not finding the package AT ALL in my configured repositories.

I would already be happy if I could see it 'being there', even with broken dependencies. But it's not even there. And I can't seem to be able to browse the Nokia repos directly (authorization problem stops me) so I can't verify myself 'from the web side'.

So if anyone has working Nokia repositories where they can see the wireless-tools and/or mp-fremantle-generic-pr package, please give me the details so I can compare.

Thanks.

I get these of dozens of packages I try to update or install:
Code:
# apt-get install uae
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
  uae: Depends: libhildon1 (>= 2.2.10) but 2.2.3-1+0m5 is to be installed
E: Broken packages

AND

# apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages have been kept back:
  connectnow-home-widget desktop-cmd-exec feedservice-utils gps-data-logger
  gpsjinni gstreamer0.10-plugins-good-extra libillumination0 maemo-mapper
  pwsafe pyside-qt4-core pyside-qt4-gui qtirreco
The following packages will be upgraded:
  libclutter-1.0-0
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 12 not upgraded.
Need to get 250kB of archives.
After this operation, 45,1kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? 
Get:1 http://repository.maemo.org fremantle/free libclutter-1.0-0 1.0.8-0maemo1 [250kB]
Fetched 287kB in 28s (10,2kB/s)                                                
Failed to fetch http://repository.maemo.org/extras-devel/pool/fremantle/free/c/clutter/libclutter-1.0-0_1.0.8-0maemo1_armel.deb  Size mismatch
E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?
I think all repositories have been somewhat broken for couple of weeks already. The left hand does not know what the right hand has done => dependency and distribution hell.

lots of these problems are indeed caused by the QT 4.6 move as part of the PR 1.2 and not-so-proper homework by the Autobuilder admins/Nokia product management/developer community.

Believe me, they know about the mess and there is a lively debate amongst themselves to try to find a way out before PR 1.2 arrives. And create better ways of working (shadow repositories etc ...) to prevent the exact same thing from happening again at the release of PR 1.3 (including QT 4.7 probably). Follow the Dev. mailing list for more info.
Not an easy task anyway, certainly quite labout intensive, whatever solution chosen. For admins and developers as well.

My (and more people) issue is not really related I think. Unless they pulled packages prematurely out of exisiting repositories. But then noone should be able to get to them.
And I can see people happily installing the whole Mobilehotspot suite of kernel/tools/scripts.

So it must be me ... Or my repository setup.

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Netweaver:

Just updated my about/settings info. Couldn't install mp-fremantle-generic-pr either.

What I did was run: dpkg -l mp-fremantle-*
(a lowercase L)
and got back that mp-fremantle-002-pr was installed.

Then run: apt-get install --reinstall mp-fremantle-002-pr

Rebooted, and settings/about has the proper info again.

the mp-fremantle-generic-pr version is in the global firmware. the 002-pr version in a localized (UK ??) firmware version.

I was looking in the apt cache and I could find there the generic version. And ... I looked in dpkg -l and I could find there also the generic version. So I think I need the generic version, not the 002

But apt-get doesn't find an installation source anymore for this (and also the wireless-tools) package.

That's the issue. Can you tell me what details you have for both the "Nokia Applications" and the "Nokia System Software Upgrade" repositories ?
Do you have any more Nokia (non-Maemo) delivered repositories ?

Originally Posted by Netweaver View Post
Hi, as part of the overclocking fun I wanted to restore the mp-fremantle-generic-pr package but apt-get said it couldn't find a source anymore to reinstall from. I can see sees it's installed via "atp-cache search" (global firmware) but it can't reinstall
Thanks.
It is possible your phone wasn't using the generic firmware. Try restoring the mp-fremantle-002-pr package instead.

Cheers.

EDIT: Looks like lemmyslender beats me to it