Active Topics

Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
Hello all,

So far I've been a good noob and only installed apps from the maemo-extras repository. But all the cool things I want to play with seem to be in testing and devel. I have a few questions on how BEST to do this... Please, no rm rf in this thread

1) What are the risks of installing apps from the -testing and -devel repositories? Unrefined apps hogging up battery life? Crashing? Rebooting? Bricking?

2) Can I create a 'backup' of everything? Like my desktop backgrounds, contacts, apps installed, everything? Link please?

3) What is the best way to 'flash' my device if/when I decide I have something unworthy on my device, or flat out brick it ? Do I need any special equipment other n900, computer, and usb cable? Can I somehow flash to the most current firmware? Is this a better way to go? Can someone please post a link so I can learn how to 'flash' my device?

4) Are there other communities/repositories (other than the 3 maemo.org extras, devel, and testing I can load to see more apps?

5) What are your favorite non-extras apps?

Thanks in advance. Please be easy on me. I'm just a noob who wants to learn and use his n900 more.

Originally Posted by SAABoy View Post
Hello all,

So far I've been a good noob and only installed apps from the maemo-extras repository. But all the cool things I want to play with seem to be in testing and devel. I have a few questions on how BEST to do this... Please, no rm rf in this thread

1) What are the risks of installing apps from the -testing and -devel repositories? Unrefined apps hogging up battery life? Crashing? Rebooting? Bricking?

2) Can I create a 'backup' of everything? Like my desktop backgrounds, contacts, apps installed, everything? Link please?

3) What is the best way to 'flash' my device if/when I decide I have something unworthy on my device, or flat out brick it ? Do I need any special equipment other n900, computer, and usb cable? Can I somehow flash to the most current firmware? Is this a better way to go? Can someone please post a link so I can learn how to 'flash' my device?

4) Are there other communities/repositories (other than the 3 maemo.org extras, devel, and testing I can load to see more apps?

5) What are your favorite non-extras apps?

Thanks in advance. Please be easy on me. I'm just a noob who wants to learn and use his n900 more.
1) Risks are low, but it could brick your device, unoptified apps which kill our battery, block up your rootfs etc. Its low, but its possible and it has bricked phones in the past.

2) Yes, Use the N900's backup tool

3) You need some software, USB cable and your phone. http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_tablet_firmware

4) There are, but they contain most of the apps on here anyway. I dont know any tho, so someone else should answer that for you.

5) Quake 3

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
As with the above, i would really recommending knowing how to help yourself if something does go wrong...
Read through the wiki pages, and learn how to flash your device

Read through the testing pages, you can get a good idea on what is reasonably safe from there - ie, if an app has 15 thumbs up then it's pretty good (10 is a pass - and after 10 days they make it to extras/downloads)
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Actually, I wouldn't recommend extras-devel, because anyone can upload anything in there. However, extras-testing will be safe enough for you.

You can add the Debian ARM repositories, but beware, it isn't guaranteed that anything would work from there... you could quckly end up bricking your device.

EDIT: If you are asking these, you'll no longer be a noob.

Last edited by Venemo; 2010-04-04 at 11:26.

The Following User Says Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
im a maemo noob andi have ignored the paranoid warnings and regularly use devel and extras devel, never had any problems, after all im the one who paid £500 for the device therefore i have a right to do what i want with it! but ive been modding (and bricking!) symbian for many years, you should flash your device to learn how do it anyway

so basically anything wrong that could occur from installing apps from devel can be solved with a reflash?
there's no permanant damage here?

Last edited by Delta; 2010-04-04 at 13:19.

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
well, wouldnt say it is fool proof. as flashing has bricked some devices. but it is rare.
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

fyi: I have installed several apps installed from extras-testing and about 85mb of free space on rootfs..
But you want to have an eye on these applications

Last edited by brog; 2010-04-04 at 14:09.

thanks noobmonkey, and by brick I assume you mean that it is as if you sliced the n900 in half, the only way to continue using it, is by buying a new one ...no last resort?

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
Originally Posted by Delta View Post
thanks noobmonkey, and by brick I assume you mean that it is as if you sliced the n900 in half, the only way to continue using it, is by buying a new one ...no last resort?
Nothing does permanent damage unless the bootloader is corrupt for some reason, and that rarely happens (never seen anyone who's had it).
A reflash that goes wrong can be solved with a re-reflash.