Active Topics

whats the point of a 32gb disk when I cant copy a file of just under 20gb in the phone memory..

What I wanted to copy: a rar copy of wmware machine with win2003 server +oracle installed...

error: not enough space... LOL I barely have used 500MB in the phone memory...

what I had to do:
UNRAR a file of 20GB
RE Compress it in 700MB parts... (got around 30 parts)
and then copy the parts over to my phone.

thats the solution I found out for copying files over 4gb (apparently fat file format doesnt allow).... anyone has a better solution?

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Belfast
one idea

windows 7 openly added fat64 support aka extfat, this can be read in windows vista also and also the driver can be installed in xp

since maemo is linux maybe we it can support it or support can be added

yes this is a restriction of fat32 file system. The n900 uses this because it's the only fs that can be read by most systems. I don't think that there's a workaround except getting a separate memory card that can be read in both your dekstop and the n900. Dunno if there even excists one that supports files larger than 4gb.

You already found the solution. The best way IS to split up the files. If you don't want to use RAR due to the compression and time it may take, you can try HJSplit to see if it will be faster at splitting up the file. goodluck.

extfat is crap. I would call it double crap.
- Why I have to pay for it to microsoft? Because in other country there is such thing as software patents?
- Why it is a standard FS for SD cards bigger, than 32 GB? Why I have to pay for nothing when I buy any device, that supports SD (excluding dumb devices and linux devices, but including photo-cameras)?

If you want big files use ext3 or any other normal FS and let windows users have problems because of poor FS support in their OS.

Posts: 561 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Spain
install the ntfs module.

Then format the fat32 partition to ntfs convert. NTFS allows you to copy files much higher.