Hi!

I have a N770 that used to pair nicely with my Nokia mobile 3G phone, giving me easy bluetooth internet access. However, after flashing with latest OS2006 it does not connect anymore. I have used the phone wizard, the internet provider wizard, deleted the pairing on the phone and created again, fiddled with the connection settings but just cannot get it to work. Anyone got help?

I am using swedish 3 internet provier, internet access data.tre.se, calling *99***1#, no username or passwd as default.

Regards,

Magnus

Posts: 242 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ USA & BharatVarsh ( INDIA - Kerala ).
Originally Posted by MagnusL View Post
Hi!

I have a N770 that used to pair nicely with my Nokia mobile 3G phone, giving me easy bluetooth internet access. However, after flashing with latest OS2006 it does not connect anymore. I have used the phone wizard, the internet provider wizard, deleted the pairing on the phone and created again, fiddled with the connection settings but just cannot get it to work. Anyone got help?

I am using swedish 3 internet provier, internet access data.tre.se, calling *99***1#, no username or passwd as default.

Regards,

Magnus

Please check to see if you can access the Internet with your phone by itself. If this works then we know that some other issues are involved. Check to see if you phone pairs correctly with your Nokia 770 ( this can be done if you are able to explore the files on the phone via the Nokia 770 ). Check if your Internet provider still allows Bluetooth Phone tethering. I had an issue wherein for sometimes I could not get to the Internet using the normal settings used to use the phone as a Bluetooth Modem. I had to change some configurations to get this to work again, and that how it stays for at present.

I had this ( or similar ) connectivity problem when I updated to the Nokia 770 OS before the latest one. I needed to change the name of the AP from
' internet2.voicestream.com ' to ' wap.voicestream.com ' .

I used the following configuration with that earlier Nokia 770 OS.
You might need to play around with some Proxy settings as well.

Access point name: wap.voicestream.com

Dial-up number: *99#

User name : blank

Password : blank

Now, Click the [Advanced Button ] and check "Use Proxy".

HTTP Proxy: 216.155.165.50

Port: 8080

With the very latest Nokia 770 OS, I use only the following and nothing more. So far , its been working very well. I can get to Internet using my Bluetooth Phone ( Nokia 6682 ) without any issues whatsoever. I get EDGE speeds.

Access point name: wap.voicestream.com
Dial-up number: *99#
User name : blank
Password : blank

Good Luck ! !

Last edited by Arjun; 2007-02-22 at 19:32.

Hi!

Thanks for your help! I can access files on the phone, so the pairing seems ok. And the phone can access internet.

If I understand you correctly, it could be useful to have a talk with my phone provider.

I was trying to check the proxy settings - but where is that "Advanced" button?? I just cannot find any or any proxy settings anywhere in the Connectivity dialogs.

Magnus

Arjun is correct, except Magnus stated he is using a Swedish provider, so the internet2.voicestream.com and wap.voicestream.com APs will not work, nor will the proxy address. First, make sure your provider allows not only GPRS ON the phone, but make sure they support your phone to be used as a GPRS MODEM. If that is the case, then they will need to provide to you the correct access point, and possibly a user name and/or password. You may want to have them look at the Advanceed settings, just to see if they apply to their network. However, paying the provider to browse the web on the phone is one thing, but being able to use your phone as a GPRS modem is something else. Older TMobile accounts do not have to pay the 19.95/month fee for modem use, like myself

Posts: 242 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ USA & BharatVarsh ( INDIA - Kerala ).
Originally Posted by MagnusL View Post
Hi!

Thanks for your help! I can access files on the phone, so the pairing seems ok. And the phone can access internet.

If I understand you correctly, it could be useful to have a talk with my phone provider.

I was trying to check the proxy settings - but where is that "Advanced" button?? I just cannot find any or any proxy settings anywhere in the Connectivity dialogs.

Magnus

I do not how much you Phone Service provider will be willing to help you.

T-Mobile ( USA ) sure was not too helpful to me.
Also, it maybe possible to find out some details about the way your IT 770 should be configured from the Connection Settings of your Phone. So you maybe able to know the Access Point name, the DUN and Proxy details etc. In fact I figured out such details from much of the information available here at ITT Forum and also from the Settings of my Phone.

I say this because you do have the ability to surf the Web ( as you mentioned you could ) using the phone so surely your phone will have the settings which enables it to access the Internet.

As for the ' Advanced Button ', you will see it when you are at the last step of configuring you Nokia ITT to access the Internet. To do this, as usual, you will go to Control Panel \ Connectivity \ Connections, on your Nokia 770. Next, in there you add a ' New Connection ' , specifically of Packet Data or WLAN. Once you have entered AP Name, Dial Up Number, User Name, Password and tapped the ' Next Button ' then, when it says ' Connection Setup Complete ' on top, you will see the ' Advanced ' Tab on bottom Left.

Last edited by Arjun; 2007-02-23 at 13:59.

Hi again.

This is odd, I think. It seems that OS2006.2 works, but that there are problems with OS2006.3. But: if so, why does not everyone that uses os2006.3 share these problems? Or us few experiencing these - is there anything specific about our setup?

Strangely, I notice that the default values for my internet provider (3 internet, Sweden) is different from what my provider (Hi3G) kindly helped me with. The default number the N770 gives me is *99***1#, but the provider says it should be *99#. They also say that I'd need userid and password (void / void). With these settings, OS2006.2 seems to at least get a connection (though there might be other problems as I haven't yet had the possibility to try it in a setting with good 3G signal strength).

Anyway, using OS2006.2 is not very good for me, as OS2006.3 solved issues with gpesyncd that I also need......

I'll return with more about my problem, and really appreciate your support and help!!

Magnus

Hi!

I'm also using the Swedish 3 internet provider, tre.se. I have a SE K800i and a N800.

I was able to connect the N800 to my mobiles modem with bluetooth, but I had to change to "Datasamtal" instead of "Paketdata", and using the number *99#, no username or password.

Works perfectly now