Active Topics

Hi guys, my first post here since getting my N900 on Thursday

I've been playing around with the device, installing this and that, changed a few things with the help of another forum member and it is ace! However, something I feel it is really missing is a screen lock option for when you close the keyboard. For example, I do everything with the keyboard slider open. Opening it unlocks the screen, so it would be handy for me to just be able to slide it closed and it locks again.

Does anyone know if this is possible or if anyone has written an app or worked something out in the settings? I hope so, it would be much easier than using the side lock button or double tapping the power key.

Cheers
Dan

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
That would make many programs that use portrait quite odd to use. Phone, for one. Camera is odd when slide is open. Many-a-game. Browser portrait mode. OSK.

You could set your T&K lock to a very low value, and the phone will lock soon. Phone never locks with the keyboard open, touching the screen revives it.

It is true that one should be able to choose zero for lock timeout if for nothing else than completeness sake.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following User Says Thank You to rooted For This Useful Post:
Posts: 664 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Australia
It could be done easily but the thing is for most of the things it wouldn't make sense. What I would suggest you is when your phone is locked state don't unlock it with swiping or pulling the right side unlocker thing but instead just slide out the keyboard and it will unlock and do your stuff and this way if you later slide in the keyboard the screen should automatically lock if I'm not wrong.

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by jaeezzy View Post
It could be done easily but the thing is for most of the things it wouldn't make sense. What I would suggest you is when your phone is locked state don't unlock it with swiping or pulling the right side unlocker thing but instead just slide out the keyboard and it will unlock and do your stuff and this way if you later slide in the keyboard the screen should automatically lock if I'm not wrong.
I think you'll find that it only re-locks when you close the keyboard without doing anything else. Utilising the phone and then closing the keyboard leaves the phone unlocked.

Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
I think you'll find that it only re-locks when you close the keyboard without doing anything else. Utilising the phone and then closing the keyboard leaves the phone unlocked.
That's right Fargus. Just to clarify; I don't want to make closing the keyboard the only option for locking the screen, just as an additional option as I do most stuff with the keyboard open. If I was using the camera/anything that didn't require the keyboard I would unlock/lock it in the normal way.

Posts: 516 | Thanked: 643 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Denmark/Poland
@darkanon, doable with several lines of code, I'm not really sure if it will be practical though. Is there anyone else interested in this?

Useful links for newcomers:
Użyteczne linki:
Nowi użyktownicy mówią cześć | New members say hello , Tu zaczynają nowi użytkownicy | New users start here, Podforum społeczności | Community subforum, Wiki dla początkujących | Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Często zadawane pytania | Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ), Google

Jeżeli mogę w czymś pomóc, pytaj!
If I can help with anything else, just ask!

Bored? Follow me

@hopbeat, well if someone could have a go at it I know I would really appreciate it, and I'm sure there are others who would make use of it, they maybe just haven't seen this thread. Unfortunately I don't know anything about linux/maemo or how to write code otherwise I would have a go myself.

The Following User Says Thank You to darkanon For This Useful Post:
no one fancy having a go at this then?

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ China
i also would love this feature. i saw another thread with a deb file called lockslider but its 2 yearsold and for diablo i guess, still havent found out if it works for us...