Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I was just about to pledge allegiance to the new note-taking program Zim, which has just the flexibility or cussedness or whatever I like in a mindmapping program, when I noticed that there have been some changes at www.mindmeister.com and its software seemed to me to work better than ever with the N900

Of course, Conboy also has unique virtues, and Evernote has to be mentioned.

But I wanted to mention this new Mindmeister ease of use; it has long been one of my favorites (I'm actually a paid-up member, though you can use about five mindmaps without paying anything) but I always had a few problems using it with a tablet. Yesterday my tests with the N900 were just beautiful -- I could create a mindmap and zoom and scan without problems.
Attached Images

Last edited by geneven; 2010-03-25 at 20:21.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 138 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Southern Germany
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I was just about to pledge allegiance to the new note-taking program Zim, which has just the flexibility or cussedness or whatever I like in a mindmapping program, when I noticed that there have been some changes at www.mindmeister.com and its software seemed to me to work better than ever with the N900
Looks quite nice though I want an offline mindmapper like vym which unfortunately falls into the "all-good-qt-apps-are-qt3-based" category.

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
Hmm mind maps are great for jotting down your thoughts... should use them more. But I can't think of anything to put down on my phone.

What kind of stuff do you use progs like these for?

I use them for anything I would use for taking extended notes. Kindles don't have good note-taking capabilities, so I use my N900 for taking notes on books I am reading on the Kindle. I take notes about regular books (you know, that use paper) too, and other things. When I went on a cruise in Europe not that long ago, I kept notes on the ports we were going to. Another time, I kept notes on the people I've known -- that's a big project, even for an introvert! And I kept notes on the books that influenced my thinking. And I kept notes on sites about online learning, since that's an interest of mine.

I used Mindmeister for some of that stuff, Freemind in Linux for other stuff, and I'm starting to use Zim. The nice thing about Mindmeister is that it's permanently available.

A lot of notes I make are thrown out. It is just something to help me organize my messy thinking.

You all ARE aware of:
Labyrinth
At least on N810 it works good.
Little basic, but good.

The Following User Says Thank You to HeadLess For This Useful Post:
I am very aware of Labyrinth; are you aware that the title of this thread refers to the N900 and that Labyrinth for the N900 has not been released?

I would be happy to play with Labyrinth again if is was available. My impression was that something wasn't quite right in how it was implemented, but I'm not sure what. I find the new MindMeister way better than Labyrinth was, mainly because it allows a large screen area to be used very well on a small N900.

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Campinas, SP, Brazil
If you install java on your phone, freemind (http://freemind.sf.net) works perfectly, including the recent RC versions. It's a very complete and featureful application.

The Following User Says Thank You to Patola For This Useful Post:
Yes, freemind is great; I use it in Linux on my desktop. In fact, it immediately installed in Easy Debian just now; good suggestion.

Another good thing about Freemind is that it's compatible with Mindmeister if I want to switch from one to the other...

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
You can use the embedded jre. Works nicely though not very fast with large mindmaps. Exporting to flash works fine also...

Posts: 197 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Europe
hmm but a native app would be fare better.
especially if the app would have a support for the usual open file format.