Active Topics

In the Engadget video about the Stantum resistive multi-touch screen, the representative confirms that their demo unit uses a fairly standard resistive screen. It is just a high quality resistive screen.

Does the N900 not use a high quality resistive screen? It's certainly one of the best I've ever used!

I understand how resistive screens work with X and Y points but why can't developers produce a driver that allows multiple X and Y points at the same time? It really seems to be a software limitation.

Does anyone really have a good understanding of how Stantum achieves the results in the video?

There are some really smart developers on this forum, maybe if you work together you can develop a form of multi-touch for N900???

This is HARDWARE limitation. There is definitively NO possibility for real multytouch.

Nobody ever actually uses Multitouch.....Its a big gimmick in my opinion.

Originally Posted by KiberGus View Post
This is HARDWARE limitation. There is definitively NO possibility for real multytouch.
Stantum screens dont offer REAL multitouch, its pseudo multitouch.

Originally Posted by DarkPand0r View Post
Nobody ever actually uses Multitouch.....Its a big gimmick in my opinion.
It'd be handy for certain things.

With the arrows on the right hand side, rather than the left we're all used to with joypads, multitouch would allow for good on screen controls for gaming.

I agree that there are many benefits to having multi-touch, especially when implemented on a resistive screen. eg. improvements for typing with the on-screen keyboard.

If you have a resistive screen that supports multi-touch you don't need to use the multi-touch for pinch zoom or whatever but at least you are not losing out on the features you currently enjoy with your resistive screen.

Stantum uses "Digital Resistive" technology to achieve multi-touch. This is based on resistive technology, but uses a completely different hardware interface. Since the N900 touch screen is not designed for this (at the HW level) no driver can overcome it.

Traditional analog resistive touch screens cannot support multi-touch. I am not sure what chrisp7 means by "pseudo multitouch", but maybe he was not fully informed. The Digital Resistive architecture enables unlimited multi-touch, with 10 or more simultaneous contact points. Actually the Stantum technology was first developed for musicians, with very high requirements for responsiveness, etc.