Active Topics

Posts: 266 | Thanked: 89 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Norway
Id really hop to see answers to these questions, and really good pros/cons about the Sygic Mobile Maps for N900

Do Sygic offer updates? How when if.

Do Sygic rely on the AGPS as the OVI Maps do?

Annoying connection dialogs?

What is good and what is not.

Than you in advance, to the early "beta" testers

Am downloading the maps now. The first problem began with the fact that I live in the German countryside and have a dirt slow internet connection. Wednesday and Thursday was hopeless... Sygic's server was completely oberwhelmed by the "community" wanting this "app". I will get back to you when I have finally downloaded the 2GB data at the speed of 384 K. That is no fun. Bis bald

Last edited by ER444; 2010-03-19 at 20:25.

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ MD, USA
Do Sygic offer updates? I don't know but i'm sure they will like any other app you install.
Do Sygic rely on the AGPS as the OVI Maps do? Yes (It was really fast in finding my position)
Annoying connection dialogs? None.

check out my full review of the application on my blog
http://maemoreviews.blogspot.com/201...okia-n900.html

As soon as you have bought sygic, you get the url for a repository (catalogue). You will get notifications for free updates of the application. For updates of the maps, you will have to pay.

Sygic uses AGPS, and is really fast in getting your position, as long as you have internet connection.
HOWEVER, as soon as I cross the border into another country, 3G internet connection becomes very expensive. So, I switch off the 3G connection. No email, no websurfing, only in hotels or other places with wifi-connection.
With 3G switched off, sygic starts to show annoying connection dialogs. The program will ask over and over again to choose for an internet connection. To get rid of these messages while driving the car is very annoying.
I tried to switch off agps ( in settings - location), but sygic persisted in asking for a connection.
Does anyone know how to switch this off ?

In sygic you have downloaded all maps you bought; the app has no need to download maps from the internet.

I find sygic to be a good an reliable navigator. Very occasionally there is an error, but not more or less then other navigation programs.

Hi, I have the same problem with sygic asking for a connection every 10 minutes or so. It makes it completely unusable offline.

Is there a way to disable this dialog?

i went from UK to Netherlands and i turned it off when i got to dover and turned it on in france. It took about 45 sec to find my gps location.
This is without internet!!!!!

was preety happy with it

The Following User Says Thank You to tele For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tele View Post
i went from UK to Netherlands and i turned it off when i got to dover and turned it on in france. It took about 45 sec to find my gps location.
This is without internet!!!!!
And the internet connection dialog/popup didn't come up every few minutes?

I have set the internet connection to "ask only" and it the dialogs comes up regularly. Same if I set to "connect to wifi only" (even though that's not what I want anyway!) - There must be a way to disable this popup...

for me it doesnt but it might be because i minimize it (press the power button then click on phone. now you have the menu key on the top left corner) then downclock the processor to 500 to save battery life. minimizing may have caused the dialog box to disappear? i dont know...

Originally Posted by freebeerz View Post
Hi, I have the same problem with sygic asking for a connection every 10 minutes or so. It makes it completely unusable offline.

Is there a way to disable this dialog?
Go to maemo settings and then choose location. Under Network positioning untick enable and then save. This should then stop Sygic trying to connect to the internet.

The Following User Says Thank You to mdb666 For This Useful Post:
guys, i'm unable to run sygic maps. when i click on the icon, a black screen appears and goes.
any suggestions? pls help!!