Notices

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
I Started working on a Star Trek theme and I decided to throw up a teaser shoot of the first background to see what people think. I have had some say its to busy and I should go simple. I might do two wall paper packs with this theme.

Desktop Screenshots will be up tonight.
Attached Images

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to andrewfblack For This Useful Post:
Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
Nice work but I'm inclined to agree with those that have already told you it's a bit busy. Would mate a good lock screen image though where there are no icons/widgets
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Originally Posted by cashclientel View Post
Nice work but I'm inclined to agree with those that have already told you it's a bit busy. Would mate a good lock screen image though where there are no icons/widgets
Do you think something simular with less stuff would be good or something totally different?

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Posts: 516 | Thanked: 643 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Denmark/Poland
I would suggest something more calm and epic, like this one (just general reference)

Useful links for newcomers:
Użyteczne linki:
Nowi użyktownicy mówią cześć | New members say hello , Tu zaczynają nowi użytkownicy | New users start here, Podforum społeczności | Community subforum, Wiki dla początkujących | Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Często zadawane pytania | Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ), Google

Jeżeli mogę w czymś pomóc, pytaj!
If I can help with anything else, just ask!

Bored? Follow me

The Following User Says Thank You to hopbeat For This Useful Post:
I'll work on something more calm for wall papers but I think I will find a use for top one took hours to do hate to waste it.

Looking forward to a Star Trek theme! I kinda like the idea of a 4-screen panoramic battle scene for the desktop, but I also think it might be too busy and might not work well with a bunch of icons and widgets. Space scenes with larger ships or planets like hopbeat suggested would probably work better, or even stylized faction logos (Federation, Romulan, etc). Examples:

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 220 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Surrey, UK
i like the examples above and am looking forward to a star trek theme. I have installed the star trek type system sounds through app manager and they are cool. But the themes themselves didn't really work that well for the N900 so am looking forward to something specifically for the N900.
There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death. Proverbs 14:12

Last edited by cardiff-blues; 2010-03-16 at 21:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to cardiff-blues For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by andrewfblack View Post
I Started working on a Star Trek theme and I decided to throw up a teaser shoot of the first background to see what people think. I have had some say its to busy and I should go simple. I might do two wall paper packs with this theme.

Desktop Screenshots will be up tonight.
Looking forward to seeing the screenshots!

Personally, I agree the background is too busy. For my old LCARS themes, I tried to make wallpapers that looked like something you might see on the computers on the show... i.e. more diagrammatic. Here are a ton of examples of graphics from the shows/movies. Here's an image from Michael Okuda's portfolio (the graphic designer who created LCARS).

The static/non-animated panels (i.e. most of the computers in the shows) were actually color gels cut into various shapes and lit from behind. Thus, most of the graphics consist of solid-color cells and lines, usually separated by some black space.

edit: Also, if you're going to have a bunch of ships in a battle, it looks kind of odd to have them all firing simultaneously.

</nerd>

Last edited by ian_ryge; 2010-03-16 at 21:58.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ian_ryge For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by hopbeat View Post
I would suggest something more calm and epic, like this one (just general reference)
I agree, you should also consider various nebulae and perhaps even more than one wallpaper set.
Either way my point is that the darker the theme, the more annoying it gets in direct sunlight.

Nice work, but too busy. Hopbeat has a good suggestion, above.