Posts: 26 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Los Angeles
I had my N900 stolen a week ago. Really bummed about it.
I have seen several theft deterrent threads floating around and am wondering how many others have had their phone stolen.

I files a police report and disabled the SIM card but I don't expect to ever get it back. I'm giving it a couple of weeks and going to decide if I should buy another one. I only had it for 2 months but I found I am really missing having a smart phone.

police report = IMEI block by gsm association

so **** that guy that stole it

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to therock For This Useful Post:
Posts: 26 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Los Angeles
That's what I am hoping. I gave them the IMEI too. I'd like to see an app that I can text a code to my phone and brick it. I don't think I would ever try to recover it myself.

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ the netherlands
sorry to hear that mate. i hope you can get it back. it's the most fair but highly unlikely way. if you can get another one you can always sell one if you get it back.. will cost you some bucks but the brightside is that you helped the maemo community grow +1

The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Drips For This Useful Post:
It's sad to hear that things like this happens. The device should be able to be identified when it's using GSM or 3G network connection; hopefully you have its product code somewhere. The thieves are most likely going to sell the phone off the black market, and the dumb person who will buy it from there can only blame himself for doing so.

Sooner or later, if they want to make profit, they will have to sell it to someone for any price. The question is how skilled this organisation is. If it's a bunch of amateurs even willing to keep the stolen phone for themselves, then either they will have to disable the GSM and 3G network connections, or they will eventually be caught if the product code remains uncracked (which most likely will be the case).

Hope you at least get your money back.

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ India
Why is not there any anti-theft softwares?
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=38605

The Following User Says Thank You to plaban For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jinlaca View Post
That's what I am hoping. I gave them the IMEI too. I'd like to see an app that I can text a code to my phone and brick it. I don't think I would ever try to recover it myself.
Sorry but once they got it, most likely they'll change the simcard??

Posts: 150 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Pennsylvania, US
Originally Posted by Venomrush View Post
Believe it or not, in the US people tend to be unaware of the SIM card and what it exists for. Plus there is a good chance it's some cracked out idiot that won't think about someone sending a SMS to trigger a rm -fr /.

Perhaps a mail based trigger would be more appropriate, so when the device inevitably regains TCP connectivity with the world it won't be dependent on the SIM remaining in place and valid?

Posts: 754 | Thanked: 630 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
@jinlaca, sorry to hear that about the loss of your phone.
I can only wish that you get it back somehow.

Im working on an app that will include an anti theft feature , I'll post more info as and when I can.

cheers
Travelapp - london underground status/planner ( website )
Batlevel - desktop widget for battery level ( website )

“I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

The Following User Says Thank You to krk969 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Venomrush View Post
The IMEI is a device identifier, the SIM is identified by the IMSI. However since this is a mobile computer and many people don't even bother to insert a SIM, an IMEI block is not as much of a showstopper as with other devices.