Notices

What's the maximum resolution I can watch a movie on my N900? 800x480? Do I have to convert a movie with higher resolution or is there another option?

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
You can watch videos stored in a higher resolution and the N900 will reduce them down to fit on the screen. In common with sretching lower resolutions up to the full screen, this takes work for the N900 to achieve.

The reason for converting files to the natural resolution of the N900 is to avoid this workload on the unit. There are several threads on video conversion and a good article in the Wiki too covering how to do this.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
anything less than 720p can be played on N900

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
anything less than 720p can be played on N900
Depends on used codec and bitrate. No easy answer for this.

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Using MPlayer + KMplayer I've watched every standard DVD rip (720x480) I've come across without any problems.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Lazarpandar View Post
Using MPlayer + KMplayer I've watched every standard DVD rip (720x480) I've come across without any problems.
Any ISO references to this *grin*

I was trying to play an mp4 with resolution of 720x574 on Mplayer + KMplayer. Didn't work, though. That's why I asked. Using SIB and MPlayer only Audio worked well while the video itself was in slow-motion. Any ideas?

Originally Posted by plutonium239 View Post
I was trying to play an mp4 with resolution of 720x574 on Mplayer + KMplayer. Didn't work, though. That's why I asked. Using SIB and MPlayer only Audio worked well while the video itself was in slow-motion. Any ideas?
try reducing the vertical resolution to less than 480?

I was re-encoding H.264 videos with resolution > 1024x??? with Handbrake with the default N900.plist. Found out anything greater than 800x480 (either horizontal or veritcal resolution) wouldn't play.

Well Fargus said, that

You can watch videos stored in a higher resolution and the N900 will reduce them down to fit on the screen. In common with sretching lower resolutions up to the full screen, this takes work for the N900 to achieve.
Now, what's true? Do I have to convert to a lower resolution or will the N900 fit a high-res video to screen?

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Bosnia and Herzegovina
By running video with higher resolution then supported mplayer claims:

FATAL: Cannot initialise video driver.

Source image dimensions are too high: yyy x zzz (maximum is 864x648)

Audio playes fine

FYI I've ran mplayer from console in order to see what is going on....

The Following User Says Thank You to cehajicm For This Useful Post: