Active Topics

Posts: 385 | Thanked: 344 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Israel
Does anyone understand the logic of the double tap zoom in the N900 built in browser?

Sometimes it zooms all the way, and sometime it zooms like only half way. I've tried different locations on the screen and different time intervals between each tap but just couldn't figure out how to control the zoom depth.

Any ideas?

Posts: 83 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Poole, UK
I don't know the technical bits of it, but as far as i am aware, it's 'intelligent', looks at the page and section you want to zoom, and will first fit that to screen.

I assume that this is done by looking at the underlying html code of the page, if it's and image tag, then zooming to the size of that image, or a div tag etc......but i could be completely wrong

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to davidh101 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 290 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by davidh101 View Post
I don't know the technical bits of it, but as far as i am aware, it's 'intelligent', looks at the page and section you want to zoom, and will first fit that to screen.

I assume that this is done by looking at the underlying html code of the page, if it's and image tag, then zooming to the size of that image, or a div tag etc......but i could be completely wrong
Honestly, I believe you are completely RIGHT!!!!

I write code for a living so the whole tab thing makes allot of sense to me . . . But I could see how it wouldn't make any sence to some other people who don't . . . so here is a picture to illiatrate modern css / html layouts

If you wanted to zoom in to read an article that was in #colum_left then you have to double tap that and the zoom will match the width set for that colum but the problem sometime is that those borders are ussually invisable to the naked eye and inside that DIV#colum_left their are other much smaller divs that will force you to zoom TOOO MUCH!

The trick is to try to envistion the top of when the DIV contaning the main content starts and TAP ON THE VERY TOP so to to confuse the 'intelligence' . . . hope this helps

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrebanza For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Yup... the first double tap will zoom toward the page's element (frame, text, image) to fill its width to your screen. If you double tap that area again, then you will zoom back out to the width of the page.

It's similar with iPhone and Android's browser AFAIK.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I think that some newbies might get confused about the double tap. I noticed that I had a double tap habit from Windows, and that frequently meant that I double tapped links and was surprised when I didn't go to the page the link is supposed to go to. I has taken me some time to unlearn double tapping to get to a link and remember that double tap is a zoom function. Remembering to only single tap is the key to getting somewhere; double tap is for zooming.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
You know that you only need to single click when web browsing in Windows right?