Originally Posted by RenegadeFanboy View Post
So, may I offer you an aim? Come and help form MeeGo, propose to have the same (or better) Talk, give your opinion on the look and structure of the MeeGo homepage, sign up for the Community workgroup (http://wiki.meego.com/Proposal_for_a..._working_group)
You can make sure that meego is a new, improved home for all of us, but contributing yourself
Sure, I'm signed up over there since day one, and fully intend to do that.

But where's the forum ? :-)

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
Sure, I'm signed up over there since day one, and fully intend to do that.

But where's the forum ? :-)
There isn't one... yet. Give them time.

Not all systems base around a forum: moblin has functioned perfectly well without one.

I happen to think that MeeGo needs one, and I'm pleased to see that Reggie is one of the people signed up for the community working party, as I think that bodes well for talk.meego.com or whatever.

Maybe we need to find a way t make that desire known fairly briskly.

Posts: 125 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
What happens to Nokia's hands boot video?

The Following User Says Thank You to daemonfin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
There isn't one... yet. Give them time.
Not all systems base around a forum: moblin has functioned perfectly well without one.
Always the kind one. IMHO "perfectly well" is debatable: after all, I've been using Maemo devices for more than four years, while I have yet to see an actual Moblin device in the wild, outside of blog pictures taken in trade shows.
But let's say you're right: in any case, it has functioned as a softare engineering project, with a mailing list, a bugzilla, an IRC and a technical wiki, not as a community in the Nokia/Maemo sense.
What I'm seeing of the Moblin heritage on meego.com is strongly reminiscent of the maemo.org side of things two years ago, before Internet Tablet Talk was integrated as TMO. The ongoing culture shock there is much the same, if you abstract the technical feuds.
So yes, if meego.com is neither maemo.org or moblin.org, but more than the sum of its parts, it needs an unruly forum like ours :-)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
The uncertainty is brought about by the severe lack of answers.

Give people a bone. Want the rampant speculation to end, then end it with pure, simple, easy answers.

Not more whitepaper talk about what MeeGo brings to the table. We mostly know it means that it'll bring the potential future Nokia OS back into where it will not be as "isolated" as an OS as before in terms of updates, et al.

But seriously. No communication(s) about the future of the existing sales (pending, actualized or otherwise) and how it'll effect people in the future is what's leading to the speculation.

You'd have to be rather daft to think otherwise. Communicate clearly for once what's going to happen - not to this forum, not about some other random stuff that's been inserted into the conversations around here - but cold, hard facts tend to silence rumors and worry.

I know what I'm saying will prove to be unpopular - I really am passed that now. But what will the N900's future be? What about the fact the first MeeGo OS phone is by LG and not Nokia? What about the upgrade - just say YES or NO.

The continued silence breeds more speculation.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
...they walked out on the current game...
...teamed up with another club to create a new one with a crappy name...
...and left the audience standing, holding flags with the old team's name, with no one to cheer on...

... well ok, not really, we're waiting to be moved to the new stadium and see how the new game will play out.
I'm from Washington DC where our basketball team just finished trading away our entire starting lineup except for the player who is suspended for the rest of the year.

New ball games can be traumatic. But it's not like we're paying for season tickets. Let's all chill out.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
What I'm seeing of the Moblin heritage on meego.com is strongly reminiscent of the maemo.org side of things two years ago, before Internet Tablet Talk was integrated as TMO. The ongoing culture shock there is much the same, if you abstract the technical feuds.
So yes, if meego.com is neither maemo.org or moblin.org, but more than the sum of its parts, it needs an unruly forum like ours :-)
Don't worry: it will get one, in some shape or another. Hopefully in a shape that's a bit less challenging to navigate, and a bit clearer about where it's ok to natter and where one should be Serious. But it will get something analogous to t.m.o. Because people want it.

Not sure I like the ball game analogies, though. I guess I know too much about ancient Mayan balls games to be comfortable.

Though round here the game appears to be more like cricket: 5 days of play and still no result...

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
The uncertainty is brought about by the severe lack of answers.
While I agree that there are stil some unknowns, I wouldn't characterize the level of uncertainty as severe.

Give people a bone. Want the rampant speculation to end, then end it with pure, simple, easy answers.

Not more whitepaper talk about what MeeGo brings to the table. We mostly know it means that it'll bring the potential future Nokia OS back into where it will not be as "isolated" as an OS as before in terms of updates, et al.
Unfortunately, i think a lot of the answers you are looking for are still at the "whitepaper" stage. From what I see, MeeGo is not yet completely in the oven. It still hasn't left the cook's table. So, it is hard to tell what exactly its taste is going to be. All we know is that going to have some cabbage, some onions, and some potatoes. Other ingredients, like mushrooms, herring, and bacon are being debated and are likely to come as side dishes. But, we are encouraged to keep a good appetite because it is going to be tasty.

But seriously. No communication(s) about the future of the existing sales (pending, actualized or otherwise) and how it'll effect people in the future is what's leading to the speculation.

You'd have to be rather daft to think otherwise. Communicate clearly for once what's going to happen - not to this forum, not about some other random stuff that's been inserted into the conversations around here - but cold, hard facts tend to silence rumors and worry.

I know what I'm saying will prove to be unpopular - I really am passed that now. But what will the N900's future be? What about the fact the first MeeGo OS phone is by LG and not Nokia? What about the upgrade - just say YES or NO.

The continued silence breeds more speculation.
Yes, speculation is inevitable, but they can't give you answers they don't have. As for the N900 all I want to know is how long are they planing to support it with updates and packages. If it turns out that it can run MeeGo, cool. But, if not, it won't bother me at all. I bought the N900 because I wanted to run Maemo. I like Maemo. But, I do wish some of its kinks could be smoothed out a bit. That is why I do agree that a statement regarding N900 support is needed and shouldn't be too hard to make at this time. Hopefully, that will happen soon.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Speculation is inevitable only if you don't answer.

They'd just have to commit to something other than silence. One answer would stop the negativity and the speculation.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Speculation is inevitable only if you don't answer.
Speculation is inevitable when you don't have an answer.

They'd just have to commit to something other than silence.
OK, so say they commit to saying that MeeGo won't run on the N900 (just to be safe). But, then it turns out that it does. Will some people be upset? I think we know the answer to that.

One answer would stop the negativity and the speculation.
Ha, ha. That is a good one.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/