Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
From DELL

.................................................. ...

The Following User Says Thank You to nhanquy For This Useful Post:
Thanks. That's about $22 off (or a little bit less than 5% off) what I have been seeing normally ($529.99).

Here in Germany the best price I can find is EUR 520 (USD 710).

Hmmm....

Has anyone ever looked into importing a N900 from the US to Germany?

Apart from the obvious differences (keyboard layout, charger) are there any other issues you could run into (warranty, VAT, import duties etc)?

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by morgon View Post
Here in Germany the best price I can find is EUR 520 (USD 710).

Hmmm....

Has anyone ever looked into importing a N900 from the US to Germany?

Apart from the obvious differences (keyboard layout, charger) are there any other issues you could run into (warranty, VAT, import duties etc)?
I hear the US version is only available in glorious red, white and blue and that the ringtone defaults in the sound of an American bald eagle squawk-choking at the sight of the US deficit spending. If you don't mind walking around with that, I think it can be shipped off to Germany.

(Truthfully, I can't imagine there's much difference aside from those details that you mentioned.. and the WIFI channel ranges maybe)

It's just that I don't understand what the process would entail.

You could end up paying german VAT on top, a lot more for delivery and may have to deal with someone an ocean away in case of problems...

Maybe not worth the trouble, but then maybe it is...

The Following User Says Thank You to morgon For This Useful Post:
I just sprang for it. Expected delivery date - Feb. 12. I'll be in for a fun weekend, even if I don't have a cell phone plan at the moment.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by cyeung View Post
I just sprang for it. Expected delivery date - Feb. 12. I'll be in for a fun weekend, even if I don't have a cell phone plan at the moment.
I'll be curious to hear your observations on any obvious differences you run into.

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Boone, IA
I keep seeing these deals, and keep getting disappointed as I want to use my Dell Preferred Account and Dell in it's infinite wisdom will not let you use said accounts on the Small Business site....aaarghhh

Have the cash, but can't quite pull the trigger as TMobile's coverage is "Edge Data Roaming" for miles around central IA

Someone please convince me not to compromise and get an Nexus 1 or Droid....(Verizon)

N800 (retired...soon to eBay)
Favorite Apps: CommunitySSU,DiabloTurbo, Flipclock, Keepnote, Dialcentral, Gizmo5 ,MediaBox/pyFMradio, Telescope,Diablo5 theme, Tear, Personal Menu/Launcher, OMWeather,Blubbels, Advanced Power/Backlight...now to play with Garnet6...

Originally Posted by Snoshrk View Post
I keep seeing these deals, and keep getting disappointed as I want to use my Dell Preferred Account and Dell in it's infinite wisdom will not let you use said accounts on the Small Business site....aaarghhh

Have the cash, but can't quite pull the trigger as TMobile's coverage is "Edge Data Roaming" for miles around central IA

Someone please convince me not to compromise and get an Nexus 1 or Droid....(Verizon)
The n900 has a WiFi radio, so you can always use that for web surfing at home. When you're away, just use the device for email and messaging.

The Following User Says Thank You to cyeung For This Useful Post:
Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
I am currently in a fiasco with newegg and my bank, trying to get them to let me pay for an N900. If that goes on for much longer, I will order from Dell.