after trawling the maemo forums for almost a month, it came down to the n900, the motorola droid, nexus one, and hd2.

i got a pretty decent price for the n900 so i bit the bullet.

it's awesome, does almost everything i expected it to. surprisingly smooth transition considering the maemo os is new to me.

thank you all for being such an active community, i hope to be of some contribution in the near future!

The Following User Says Thank You to thelushlife For This Useful Post:
Excellent choice.

May the Force be with you

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Midlands UK
Good choice imo.But it takes some getting your head around if your new to it like me.Had mine over a month now and still dont have a clue lol, good luck.

Agreed, congratulations on the buy lushlife, its sure one hell of a device.

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ The Netherlands
Just hang around here. I have been doing that for a few weeks now as well. Stuff gets better and better.

Congrats on the wise choice in purchase : )

great stuff guys, i've only had the device for half a day now, and i'm extremely comfortable with navigating around the maemo os, program installations are smooth, no hiccups, no resets, no lagginess!

this is with multiple widgets streaming realtime pidgin(msn), facebook, rss feeds. conky reports rootfs as having just over 70mb free, pretty snappy. youtube webpage streaming is extremely smooth, dvd rips of movies (divx + ac3) run smooth on the default media player, video out to a tv works out of the box on these movies.

the only thing not working is 'turning control' to portrait mode for phone. however i much prefer to use the n900 in landscape mode exclusively, so it's not a problem.

the n900 is truly a remarkable device, it cost more than my asus netbook, but it's alot cooler. i haven't felt this way about a mobile device since i got my first gen iphone way back in aug 07!

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Originally Posted by thelushlife View Post

the only thing not working is 'turning control' to portrait mode for phone. however i much prefer to use the n900 in landscape mode exclusively, so it's not a problem.
Interesting,as i've not heard of the phone portrait mode not working

In the Microb(Internet browser) try pressing control+shift+o, then turning it into portrait mode. Close your browser and go back to your phone - see if it kicks it into life
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

Congratulations on the choice. You'll find these forums overflowing with information on how to maximize your N900.

Just a word of advice, only go into the extras-testing and extras-devel repos IF YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY SURE of what you're doing.

I'm a total noob when it comes to the phone, so I've stayed away from those repos. This has resulted in my phone being one of the most stable devices I've ever owned.

how much did you pay?

no go on getting microb to work in portrait mode. doesn't really concern me though, i'm thrilled the n900 is so fuss-free for me, i imagined i would encounter alot of problems from reading all the posts on the forum.

i paid us480 for the device with an extra battery. not the absolute cheapest, i know dell had it for us429 a while back. but even if i got it from dell, i'm not located in the states, so overseas shipping would cost me another us30. not to mention additional 7% goods tax on the n900.

all in all, the n900 performs as well, if not better than the droid/nexus one, at a cheaper price!