Active Topics

This happened to me yesterday, on an up-to-date N900. I didn't notice the battery going flat (my old E71 would scream at me :-) and when I came to plug it in, I got a solid orange light.

I have left it plugged in to the mains charger overnight, while I read up round here, with similar issues. I have attempted to get it in to R&D mode, using flasher-3.5 (I have the Mac OS X version) but flasher tells me there is no USB device found, and sure enough, the phone does not show up in the USB device tree in System Profiler. Now, this could be because I haven't quite got the sequence of events to get the thing into USB mode right. Can someone clarify? And help me out here?!

Cheers,
James

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Sounds like it got too low to charge properly (did you get a green light?), so you'll need to charge the battery externally (desktop charger or a compatible phone). It should be fine after that.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
I believe any sort of flashing doesn't work with empty battery.

Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
Sounds like it got too low to charge properly (did you get a green light?), so you'll need to charge the battery externally (desktop charger or a compatible phone). It should be fine after that.
Ah, makes sense, in a broken logic kind of way! I got no green light, just the steady amber. I will seek out a desktop charger....

Ta!
J

Originally Posted by shadowjk View Post
I believe any sort of flashing doesn't work with empty battery.
Hm, seems so - I' would have expected it to at least be powered off the USB though, whether or not the battery was flat. This is the daft bit - that you can get it to a state it can't recover from on it's own.

Cheers,
J

Yeah, a lot of problems could have been avoided if it was possible to power the device directly from the charger. There's no really good technical reason not to.

Posts: 61 | Thanked: 90 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bushey, Herts, UK.
Originally Posted by jhdore View Post
.....This is the daft bit - that you can get it to a state it can't recover from on it's own.
My wife says a similar thing about me sometimes

On the symbian phones I've used the device would shut down and preserve the last bit of battery, allowing itself enough to tell me "battery empty please recharge" if I tried to start it up again.

Something similar would be a good idea.
Maybe this needs to be suggested as a bugfix/enhancement.

Posts: 65 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Phoenix, Cochin, Bad Durkheim
I have had the exact same problem.
I went to all the shops in Phoenix looking for a battery for the cell because the present battery was totally drained out and would not charge again.
Finally, I landed up in a shady little cell shop. Got a Nokia battery with similar connector points and I was able to reflash my device.
The N900 has the BL-5J battery which is also used by the Xpress 5800. I got a BL4U. Note this is the smaller than the BL5J and cannot be used on a daily. But it is good to reflash.

Once that was done. I just had to recharge my original battery and I was good to go.

Moral of the story. Reflash only with a full battery. And if there is an issue do not wait for the battery to drain out.

It cost me $25 and half a day.

The Following User Says Thank You to amarjyoti For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwertyberty View Post
On the symbian phones I've used the device would shut down and preserve the last bit of battery, allowing itself enough to tell me "battery empty please recharge" if I tried to start it up again.

Something similar would be a good idea.
Maybe this needs to be suggested as a bugfix/enhancement.
I still think the correct fix is to simply allow the device to be able to run on the charger directly. There's no technical reason it _has_ to be powered indirectly, through the battery (as now). If it would run on the charger directly we wouldn't need any fancy solution.

Obviously that would be for the next-gen device. As for the current N900, I would be surprised if it doesn't already shut down with enough juice left to let it engage and start its own charging function. What it can't do, whatever you do, is to reflash with a run-down battery if it needs to reflash. For that you need to use another battery or get your battery charged elsewhere. That should be fixed for the next device (i.e., let it be able to run on the charger directly.)

Originally Posted by jhdore View Post
This happened to me yesterday, on an up-to-date N900. I didn't notice the battery going flat (my old E71 would scream at me :-) and when I came to plug it in, I got a solid orange light.

I have left it plugged in to the mains charger overnight, while I read up round here, with similar issues. I have attempted to get it in to R&D mode, using flasher-3.5 (I have the Mac OS X version) but flasher tells me there is no USB device found, and sure enough, the phone does not show up in the USB device tree in System Profiler. Now, this could be because I haven't quite got the sequence of events to get the thing into USB mode right. Can someone clarify? And help me out here?!

Cheers,
James

If you still have your E71, the n900 battery will actually fit in the E71 and you can charge it from there. Once you close the lid, the battery fits tight enough to keep charging....

The Following User Says Thank You to bugelrex For This Useful Post: