Active Topics

Notices

Poll: Is this thread useful ?
Poll Options
Is this thread useful ?

Hey everyone ... I just had this idea that we should maintain this thread which lists all the N900 Apps which are said to properly work on the N900, and all those which have any issues. This would ease the risk that people take when installing stuff from Extra-Testing and Extra Devel .. Of course, technically there's always a risk when running software not properly released, but that does not mean that they also dont work .. ... Getting my point ..

So all you people need to do is just post here all the apps which you have recently tried out, and tell us if they worked for you, or if you had any issues with them ..

Also, people can post here if they need feedback for any program which is not mentioned here, and then someone can answer whether that program worked for them or not .. I will keep updating this thread regularly and people start to post in ..

If the application you are interested in is not listed below, please post here that you need feedback on it or PM me !

Also, in addition to reporting errors and other general feedback here, it is highly recommended that you post your findings at the QA Repository! Link!

I will start off with the software which I have recently tried out:

Apps that work perfectly !:

If there is any application listed here which you are having problems with, please report them in this thread .. !

AbiWord Word Processor
AccDisplay
BlueMaemo
Countdown Timer
Desktop Command Execution Widget - latest version is known to be stable
DialCentral
DiskUsage
DOSBox
DrNokSnes -- you may experience a few emulation issues, but other than that it seems to be fine !
Duke Nukem 3D CD Version - needs CD Key though (Shareware version doesn't!)
fbreader
FeedingIt
Flashlight
FM Radio Player
Google Latitude Updater
GPX View
Hermes
iNES
irreco-for-n900 - but unknown issues reported. Will re-categorize this when further details come forward!
Lybniz
Mad Bomber
maemo-geolocation
Maep
Mancala
MathJinni
MediaBox Media Center
midnight commander
onedotzero
Personal Dataplan Monitor (to reset the counter, go to Settings ->Phone ->Data Counter ->Clear. Thanks qwertyberty!)
Powatool
Pidgin Internet Messenger
qtirreco
rootsh
RulerJinni
StockThis
Tickstill
TouchSearch
usbcontrol
VoR
VGB
vnc viewer
WeightJinni
WifiInfo
wikiHow
Xournal

Apps that have Issues:

appwatch - works, not fully functional as yet
Firefox -- a bit slow
flip clock -- crashes .. ! Does not even start for me !
freoffice -- very slow, often does not read files properly, and also crashes
fring -- crashes when there's no connection available. Also some navigation issues (thanks tpharaoh!)
Currency Converter -- some crashes reported!
MSN Protocol Plugin -- Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't
Load-Applet -- makes the OS slow
maePad -- a bit slow, especially when you enable gridlines in the sketch section .. Also, sometimes the controls don't properly load and you have to restart the application ..
mbarcode -- Very inefficient at detecting barcodes
Midori - may be slow for some people!
Mirror -- slow and shows a really ugly output
msaber - doesn't really work!
recaller - works well, but it seems a bit slow to switch to the desktop during a call to start recording!
rs -- has a serious bug in it which keeps locking your phone again and again (probably happens when you set both locking and unlocking passwords the same -- eventually I had to reflash my N900)
shake2control -- did not really work for me
tweakr -- did not work for me properly
VGBA -- works but is slow/inefficient at emulating!

Apps for which feedback is requested:

aircrack-ng
cpumem
evopedia
File Transfers
Google Voice plugin for Conversations and Calls
hexedit
iquake3
irreco-core
kernel-module-cifs
kernel-module-ntfs
liqcalendar
miniature
pedometerhomewidget
pool
qTranslate
ses
shutter
Speech record and playback
Subtitles Support
thumb-sudoku
transitioncontrol
Unzip addon for the File Manager
zip

Please do post your feedback people ... And if this thread turns out to be useful, maybe it should be stickied or something ..

Last edited by ahmadka; 2010-02-03 at 14:36.

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to ahmadka For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
I would also add more info on each app... like if they're fully opted or not... etc

The Following User Says Thank You to bandora For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
what about using your energy for really testing the apps and push those faster from extras-testing to extras?

http://wiki.maemo.org/Help_testing_software
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Well my intention in making this list was basically for two reasons:

-> Suppose a person wants to install some software from extras-devel, he can just come here and see what has been posted against that app here ..

-> People who have already tested out other software which is not mentioned here, can post their feedback ..

Of course, those willing to properly test out software in detail can refer to the link posted by ossipena ..

The Following User Says Thank You to ahmadka For This Useful Post:
And I will add details on optified status for the above apps later on too hopefully ..

Abiword works fine, I really use it a lot. It is far more bdetter than the latest N810 I used, which was also good. It only has some slight issues when trying to select some textfragments - it will move these selected fragments sometimes. So you have to use the restore-button once in a time. Though far less then I used too wid the old pased away N810.
Now I'm hoping for a 4,3 inch N910.

Posts: 299 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Singapore
Please, put it in Wiki format instead of a forum thread.

I've also wanted to do something similar for 'proven and tested' flash apps, but I haven't received my N900 yet, so no point starting that yet...

The Following User Says Thank You to magnuslu For This Useful Post:
irreco-for-n900

I have loaded this. Good one. I could use my N900 to control my Sony Trinitron TV. No issues in downloading or installing the same. Not tried other appliances.

I could add/delete new remote buttons also. But, number of buttons on screen are limited. I think I can reduce icon size (button image size) so that more buttons per screen I can add. I have to try this.

Posts: 61 | Thanked: 90 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bushey, Herts, UK.
Originally Posted by ahmadka View Post
Personal Dataplan Monitor -- Don't know how to reset the counter
Just go to Settings ->Phone ->Data Counter ->Clear

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qwertyberty For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ahmadka View Post
Well my intention in making this list was basically for two reasons:

-> Suppose a person wants to install some software from extras-devel, he can just come here and see what has been posted against that app here ..
Unless you have a version number it doesn't help much as v1.1 of an application could work fine but v1.2 could introduce some problem that makes in unusable.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to matrim For This Useful Post:

Tags
apps, thread considered harmful, why???