Notices

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Espoo
Rovio seem pleased with the results of being one of the first companies with something on the N900.

http://www.pocketgamer.biz/r/PG.Biz/...ws.asp?c=17921

The Following User Says Thank You to ymb For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
I just wish I could buy the extra levels

Posts: 210 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki, Finland
don't we all

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
I tried to buy the extra levels package and could not. I plan on using it with this nice projector.
http://www.veoh.com/videos/yapi-J-WDx8v1khk

Posts: 287 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ The Netherlands
It's not really fair. This is the only decent game app thats on Ovi. So everybody that has a N900, downloaded it. The choice on apple store is bigger. There's a lot more competition for them.

But i like the game, wanted to buy the addon pack. I hope they will make a lot more nice games for the N900.

I'm really curious how nokia is going to handle proprietary stuff. By giving us root.. there is virtually no way to get files onto our device that we can't see, and package for ourselves...

That really hinders any and all "buy" software for the N900..

ETA: I suppose Nokia could write it's own complete package management system that sits along side deb's... and encrypts all the files... I guess?
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

I dunno, I have buy software on my PC and I'm as much of a root/administrator as I want to be.

On Linux? Even with the proprietary installers I've used I've still found the libs and binaries that it extracts... but maybe I just haven't gotten many good ones.

I don't make a habbit of paying for software... I make a habbit of donating for software... so there could be stuff already done that I am unaware of.

Originally Posted by volt View Post
I dunno, I have buy software on my PC and I'm as much of a root/administrator as I want to be.
Exactly. Installing software onto an open device is not the issue. People who want to pirate the software will do so regardless of any protection on it.

The problem with Ovi is that the payment system was not in any way tied into the delivery system, which resulted in many people bypassing the payment system. In many cases this was done in complete ignorance of the fact that people wanted paying for it.

Originally Posted by jaark View Post
Exactly. Installing software onto an open device is not the issue. People who want to pirate the software will do so regardless of any protection on it.

The problem with Ovi is that the payment system was not in any way tied into the delivery system, which resulted in many people bypassing the payment system. In many cases this was done in complete ignorance of the fact that people wanted paying for it.
So you're saying that you don't find it a big deal if the .deb file can be snatched quite easily upon install and then redistributed with pretty much no modification?

Or am I misunderstanding what happened...

I mean.. they usually at least try and make it *difficult* to pirate something..