Notices

hi!

i am using transmission for the first time now on n900 and i am having hard time to download anything, because the download speed is between 0 and 1.5kb/s. i have open the port, and try several .torrents with high number of seeders, but the download speed is usaly 0 for the most of the time, and max 1.5kb/s.

did i miss any special config, or does anybody else have hard time with transmission?

Kristijan

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Uppsala,Sweden
Are you using a wifi or 3g connection? I believe some carryers block bittorrent on their 3g networks. If you are on wifi the most likely answer is that port forwarding on your router is not set up correctly.

Posts: 125 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Bellshill, UK
Originally Posted by janezek View Post
hi!

i am using transmission for the first time now on n900 and i am having hard time to download anything, because the download speed is between 0 and 1.5kb/s. i have open the port, and try several .torrents with high number of seeders, but the download speed is usaly 0 for the most of the time, and max 1.5kb/s.

did i miss any special config, or does anybody else have hard time with transmission?

Kristijan
Transmission is running fast for me via wifi, I haven't changed any settings. Maybe ur carrier or ISP is restricting you from using torrents?

I'm experiensing over 1mb/s downloads with 3g and over 2mb/s over wifi, so I can't complain about the speed. I have to complain about sth else though - it's a resource hog! It's the only app that brings my phone to it's knees, slowing everything down - near to a halt

i only try to download on wifi , haven't got any speed limit set, ports open correctly, and i am standing next to the router and still nothing, so i try speedy to check out the internet speed, and it was normal :S realy dont know what to do

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
You might be over NAT (which you most certainly are), so you are not connectable, thus only outgoing links work.

Most trackers favor the fully sharing types making the problem worse. Try port forwarding setup, forwards some ports, configure your client to use those, should clear it up.

I've gone over 200K with Transmission. It's not the client.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

are you blind? i said 2 times now that ports are forwared properly! i try on my home wifi, standing next to router, i set up transmission on my home PC, set the same IP, user the same port, and the same .torrent, and it was fast, so now i configure the same IP to nokia, same port, tested the port, all ok, use the same .torrent.... still the same.... most of the time it is 0kb/s, and from time to time it downloads the torrent with horrible slow speed, and all you can say the port is to blame..... :S i flashed the n900 just now, just downloaded the transmission client, the same

Desperate :S

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
are you blind?
There is no need to be aggressive. This is free help.

i said 2 times now that ports are forwared properly!
And none of us believe you . Actually, nobody else has that issue. Additionally, your question was about transmission having low speeds, which it doesn't. You also asked if we think you missed something, and we do.

i set up transmission on my home PC, set the same IP, user the same port, and the same .torrent
See, this is why we have trouble with your feedback. If your PC has the same port then you can't use it on the N900 at the same time, unless you redo your router configuration each swap, then reboot the router for the connections to reset and the new routing table to have effect, which is something you never mentioned.

If not reboot, at least wait a while. Few home routers have instant routing, especially if you reuse the IP.

tested the port, all ok,
How did you test the port? Used the PC and assumed it worked or did you try to telnet from the outside?

horrible slow speed, and all you can say the port is to blame..... :S i flashed the n900 just now, just downloaded the transmission client, the same

Desperate :S
That's because we have the same device, same Transmission and basically the same torrents. Your setup is the only unknown here.

Also, there's the question of your PC's configuration on the torrent client.

When working with external peers, sometimes the limits are very low, about 1k. A PC with a unconfigured torrent client links about 50 peers, and a broadband like mine about 600 (100M/s). Transmission is limited to 15 global in settings, that could keep your speed low if some peers don't cooperate.

Try increasing the limit (make sure you revert the setting if it doesn't help).

Also, try to debug your up/down link, try downloading/uploading a large mail attachment, see how long it takes.

You could try a telnet from the outside to the forwarded port, make sure it's correctly set up.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Australia
Short of checking the ports with a web port checker like --> http://www.canyouseeme.org/

I am guessing you get this speed with all torrents?

Also does another computer on wifi get faster speeds?

Otherwise I'm not really sure sorry.

If all else fails you may have to try setting up your phone as a dmz on your router.