Active Topics

Hi, I want to learn all that maemo software making language, i'm not skilled at C++, Java or anything else. What should i start learning (like to start from total zero). Sorry for my bad english

Originally Posted by fay View Post
Hi, I want to learn all that maemo software making language, i'm not skilled at C++, Java or anything else. What should i start learning (like to start from total zero). Sorry for my bad english
My suggestion is to start learning some Python language. It's friendly for beginners and very good language for advanced prototyping. If you want go forward, you can expand your Python applications with C/C++.

Getting started with Python in general:
Some books I recommend:
(1) Not just for kids! It is a good and fun introduction to the world of programming using Python language.
(2) PyQt4 is a set of Python bindings for Qt 4. PySide project is Nokia’s PyQt replacement for Maemo and maintain API compatibility with PyQt (e.g. you can use the same method names). To import PySide you have to use “import PySide” instead of “import PyQt4″.
(3) Good book that explains how to program fun mobile applications on Symbian OS (not on Maemo). Go to web site and I truly recommend to browse examples. Might give some ideas also on Maemo

Then Maemo and Python links:
(1) Overall picture of the maemo 5 platform...
(2) If you're interested about 2D games or making such...

I hope these links help you to get started! Welcome to exciting world of Maemo development!

Last edited by tavellan; 2010-01-16 at 15:50.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tavellan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Read books, read books, read tutorials, copy-paste code, read some more

This applies to all programming.

i wonder is it hard to make something like when you slide finger through the screen to make it show different text with different background?
EDIT: I can't download http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n...emo_5_SDK.html Maemo 5 SDK it gives me time out

Last edited by fay; 2010-01-16 at 17:18.

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Munich, Germany
Don't start with the Maemo SDK, this is far too complicated and powerful for starting programming with python. You don't need it. Just get your python-code working on your machine, copy it to your device and try it there.

And yes, what you want to do is quite difficult for an absolute beginner. If you want to learn to program you have to invest some time. I'd say it will take 10-20 hours to learn the basics of a programming language (syntax etc.). But to apply these on a working program with a graphical user interface and UNDERSTAND what youre doing will probably take 100-200 hours at least.

So if you want to get a new interesting and challanging hobby, start with it. If you just want to make some cool app as fast as possible you probably are on the wrong way.

Originally Posted by BlueGene View Post
Don't start with the Maemo SDK, this is far too complicated and powerful for starting programming with python. You don't need it. Just get your python-code working on your machine, copy it to your device and try it there.

And yes, what you want to do is quite difficult for an absolute beginner. If you want to learn to program you have to invest some time. I'd say it will take 10-20 hours to learn the basics of a programming language (syntax etc.). But to apply these on a working program with a graphical user interface and UNDERSTAND what youre doing will probably take 100-200 hours at least.

So if you want to get a new interesting and challanging hobby, start with it. If you just want to make some cool app as fast as possible you probably are on the wrong way.
i needed that sdk cause i'll get my own n900 only at the beggining of march. so i thought i could try on virtual one. and i thought it won't be vey hard to make like sliding images application