Active Topics

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the Nokia Internet Tablet and had my eye on a 770 for about a year until I recently purchased an n800. I must say, this is quite an impressive machine and I'm happy with it so far. I'm familiar with Linux using it on and off for several years and its neat having a handheld wireless Linux device with 800x480 resolution!

I bought it for my own use, but it would be great to be able to use it at work as well. The problem I have is that we use RSA SecurID cards for wireless access control here.

Has anyone connected their Internet Tablet to anything similar?

On my Windows XP laptop, we have an additional PEAP component "Cisco Aironet PEAP Supplicant" installed. The laptop uses WPA2, AES encryption and a second phase EAP Type of One Time Password "Generic Token Card" (GTC/SecurID).

Doing a little digging around, I found that the "Cisco Aironet PEAP Supplicant" could be equivalent to the Meetinghouse and Funk supplicants allowing "PEAP with Generic Token Card (GTC)"
(more info)

Cisco acquired Meetinghouse and their product was AEGIS SecureConnect and now the Cisco Secure Services Client. Intermec appears to have the Funk Odyssey wireless LAN access control that only supports Windows and PocketPC devices from what I gather.

On the n800 under "Conn. Setup: WPA EAP PEAP" there is an option for EAP method "EAP GTC" which I’m assuming is the Generic Token Card. Under "Connection setup: Advanced settings-EAP", I see options for "use manual user name" and "Require client authentication". Trying various combinations of each I am still unable to get an authentication dialog box to enter the username and pin+card_numbers and it returns with an "Authentication failed." message.

I’m not holding my breath, but does anyone know if SecurID wireless LAN access control is possible with the Internet Tablet?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I can tell you it's possible because I know of a company that implemented vpn access using secureId for the 770... unfortunately I can't provide details, sorry. Just letting you know it CAN be done. I think a tool called vpnc was utilized.

We use SecurID for VPN as well and I installed but haven't tested vpnc on the 800 (didn't have my card at the time). I'll be checking it out tonight.

That's different from what I want. VPN requires an Internet connection obviously and you then connect to the VPN concentrator to get at the corporate network from a remote location such as at home.

What I'm looking for is being able to access the network directly through on-site wireless using the SecurID token. This uses 802.1x for WLANs.

Hey,
I want to resurrect this thread because maybe with OS2008 a new solution might be possible to allow access to enterprise wifi networks using PEAP with a RSA SecurID hardware token.

As srstein said above, I am also trying to access my work's wifi using a RSA SecurID hardware token with PEAP. If I get it working then I can convince my CIO to get our admins some ITTs.

Has anybody got this to work in their work environment? I understand that VPNC can use RSA tokens to access VPN but I can't use it since I want to get authenticated by enterprise wifi first.

I tried the following settings on my ITT but password challenge was not accepted. Maybe because I can't enter all the EAP/PEAP settings exactly. I know that the authentication servers are working correctly since 1700 Windows laptops connect daily. Thanks for your help.

Setup details for Windows XP
Network Authentication: WPA
Data Encryption: TKIP
EAP Type: PEAP/Generic Hardware Token
GTC Properties: One Time Password/Support Hardware Token

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
It's certainly possible because it's being used inside *ahem* a certain company.

I don't know if the internal tool will ever be released to the public, but I wonder what's holding up third-party development...

Any news in securID implementation on the n900?