Active Topics

how do i apt-get the newer of the 2 updates? Can someone walk me thru xterminal?

Posts: 1,090 | Thanked: 476 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Ingolstadt, Germany
the safest way to do that upgrade is OTA (over the air). this only works when you haven't installed apps from testing/devel and have enough free space on your root partition.

the other way (which you are told to go when you haven't enough free space in app-manager) is connected to pc and using pc suite - for being more precise the nokia updater.

i would recommend you to NOT upgrade within the terminal, but if you want to:

you have to be root in terminal and then type:

Code:
apt-get dist-upgrade
BUT:
be careful with this one, link /var/cache/apt/archives to somewhere with enough space! OR YOU MAY BRICK YOUR DEVICE!

so this is the way to go:

Code:
apt-get update -o dir::cache=/home/user/MyDocs/.apt-archive-cache

apt-get dist-upgrade -o dir::cache=/home/user/MyDocs/.apt-archive-cache
IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING EXACTLY - USE UPGRADE VIA APP-MANAGER OR PC SUITE!

DON'T FORGET TO MAKE A BACKUP BEFORE UPGRADING!

Last edited by b666m; 2010-01-15 at 05:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to b666m For This Useful Post:
Please note - I upgraded to 51.1 with apt-get dist-upgrade. Even though I had 55MB free on the rootfs, the upgrade stopped in the middle due to lack of space and I needed to clear 20MB more, so it best not to try it unless you have more than 70MB free.

In addition, after apt-get dist-upgrade finished and I rebooted, application manager still offered me the upgrade to 51.1, which included 5MB of packages. Only after this, did my upgrade finish. I did not test if this last upgrade was also available with apt-get.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
Please note - I upgraded to 51.1 with apt-get dist-upgrade. Even though I had 55MB free on the rootfs, the upgrade stopped in the middle due to lack of space and I needed to clear 20MB more, so it best not to try it unless you have more than 70MB free.

In addition, after apt-get dist-upgrade finished and I rebooted, application manager still offered me the upgrade to 51.1, which included 5MB of packages. Only after this, did my upgrade finish. I did not test if this last upgrade was also available with apt-get.
you can reboot after disk space has ended and about 20-30mb of disk space appears. after that dpkg --reconfigure (or whatever it was, apt-get was kind enough to tell the whole command) plus apt-get -f install did the trick.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
you can reboot after disk space has ended and about 20-30mb of disk space appears.
That assumes that the broken update left the system in a bootable state, which I did not want to assume.
after that dpkg --reconfigure (or whatever it was, apt-get was kind enough to tell the whole command) plus apt-get -f install did the trick.
Yes apt-get is really nice in that it tells you exactly what to do when something goes wrong.