Posts: 17 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Munich
== N.B. If have read all the other threads about this issue. The purpose of this thread is to collect opinion and need ==

I tried today to connect my N900 to my BMW via BT trying to replace my "old" iPhone also as a car phone. As expected, the contact list did not show up in the car due to the missing PBAB protocol as documented in bug 6368.

So what is the point here? I own a phone which costs $$$ or €€€, which features a FM transmitter with the only serious use case to be able to send music over the air to the car radio and exactly this phone is not able to share contacs via BT with the car kit.

I seriously do not want to blame anybody but, however, when one follows the discussion at the above mentioned bug, one could be left with the impression that either the N900 is not strategic at all to Nokia and the N900/Maemo group is an internally unsupported bunch of people or Nokia is just bluntly arrogant about the needs/use cases of their end users.

Need for it? Thoughts? Thank you.

Last edited by Uwe; 2010-01-16 at 10:58.

Posts: 327 | Thanked: 249 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Λεμεσιανός, ρε!
Just a reminder; the phone functions are new to Maemo and no one ever claimed that the N900 was a better smartphone device than any of the current Symbian/S60 handsets. With some time lots of "missing" functions will be implemented but the N900 is a tablet first, phone second. Definitely not for the person who wants the latest, greatest "shiny shiny" smartphone as Revdkathy has put it.

The Following User Says Thank You to skalogre For This Useful Post:
Posts: 323 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Australia
Wish I had a BMW. :P

Posts: 597 | Thanked: 490 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by skalogre View Post
With some time lots of "missing" functions will be implemented but the N900 is a tablet first, phone second.
Added Bluetooth PBAB protocol support is definitly a feature I would LOVE to see in the near future!!!
And for sure a MUST for a wanna and hopefully soon to be leading smart phone / tablet (whatever you wanna call it - hate this discussion!)

Keep going Maemo community and make the N900 an even better mobile device - great job you guys are doing!

@Uwe: As a workaround you can import your adressbook to your BMW via the iDrive Online Portal: https://www.bmw-online-portal.de.
This way you can access your contactlist over iDrive in your car and use your N900 for calls...

The Following User Says Thank You to Reflektorfalke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 17 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Munich
@ Reflektorfalke: thanks for the suggestion, I will give it a shot since the Petrovich workaround doesn't seem to work for BMWs in general.

@skalogre: this is not at all about "shiny shiny" but about driving safety. When I can browse the contacts on the car kit for making a call while driving this is far more safe than doing the same on the N900. E.g. how many accidents have been caused by people writing SMS during the drive? So for me this is not a nice to have feature at all but mandatory.

The Following User Says Thank You to Uwe For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
this is not at all about "shiny shiny" but about driving safety. When I can browse the contacts on the car kit for making a call while driving this is far more safe than doing the same on the N900.
I totally agree, and Voice Commands / Voice Dialing would be another feature to invrease driving safety. (Oh yes, you may also call it "shiny shiny" - but its still very useful).

Other Nokias work great with my BMW iDrive system. I can either dial by just saying the name of the person I want to call or by using the iDrive knob for selecting a person from my phone contacts...

It is "shiny shiny", but also a way of interaction / communication between 2 devices / services that a gadget as the N900 must have in the future!!!

Unfortunately I am no developer, but I assume it is not to much work to add anther bluetooth profile - at least it is standardized and exists on other devices...

The Following User Says Thank You to Reflektorfalke For This Useful Post:
Clarification as you seem to have misunderstood.

"Shiny shiny" = the desire for the latest greatest toy, the purported mythical beast known as the all-powerful Flagship device that all enthusiasts will covet.

The N900 is definitely NOT that device. For Nokia the N97, with all its flaws, is pretty much at the top rung of the ladder. The N900 is a TABLET with phone capabilities. Rather limited phone capabilities. It may take time to hit the point that it has the telephony features many of you take for granted. especially if you come from Symbian that has been around for a LONG time and while clunky is probably the most flexible and fully-featured telephony device OS out there.

The Following User Says Thank You to skalogre For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by skalogre View Post
Clarification as you seem to have misunderstood.

"Shiny shiny" = the desire for the latest greatest toy, the purported mythical beast known as the all-powerful Flagship device that all enthusiasts will covet.

The N900 is definitely NOT that device. For Nokia the N97, with all its flaws, is pretty much at the top rung of the ladder. The N900 is a TABLET with phone capabilities. Rather limited phone capabilities. It may take time to hit the point that it has the telephony features many of you take for granted. especially if you come from Symbian that has been around for a LONG time and while clunky is probably the most flexible and fully-featured telephony device OS out there.
The discussion what kind of device the N900 is, is pointless from my point of view...

I am aware that it is a new device with newly added phone functionality. Nevertheless I opted to buy it and LOVE it!

All I say is that I hope to see those and other (phone and not phone related) features in the future - hopefully near future ;-)

Hey its just about making use of the devices capabilities and potential! And one reason to get the N900 besides its weaknesses is that I believe in the community with added Nokia support being able to make it the all-powerful Flagship device...

Originally Posted by Reflektorfalke View Post
The discussion what kind of device the N900 is, is pointless from my point of view...

I am aware that it is a new device with newly added phone functionality. Nevertheless I opted to buy it and LOVE it!

All I say is that I hope to see those and other (phone and not phone related) features in the future - hopefully near future ;-)

Hey its just about making use of the devices capabilities and potential! And one reason to get the N900 besides its weaknesses is that I believe in the community with added Nokia support being able to make it the all-powerful Flagship device...
My last four devices were the E61i, N95, E71 and N97. I surely know that there are some serious differences in what those could do versus the N900. We can hope that with time Maemo 5 (and Maemo 6) will be at that level.

Someone knows if nokia have PBAB in his n900 yet

or that will come on a update

//Bolle