Active Topics

There was (is) a thread about being able to download from the ovi store like from any other free repo (even paid-for content).
This raises an interesting question: how will security be enforced for paid ovi content? I guess apps could be made to ask for a security code based on imei, but what about other content (free boobie-full wallpapers)? And who's to stop me from going "sudo cp" on anything i want to 'share'?
Now, i pledge not to pirate anything maemo-related if it's sold at a decent price (no 20$ sudoku, thank you - haven't seen one, just saying), but others may not be so supportive
Any other known security model available?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
(optional) DRM is coming with Maemo 6. Yup, expect a big debate...

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Turku, Finland
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
(optional) DRM is coming with Maemo 6. Yup, expect a big debate...
As long as it is only for protecting the paid apps from getting pirated it's okay for me...

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by antoarts View Post
As long as it is only for protecting the paid apps from getting pirated it's okay for me...
I would expect only paid apps to use it. Otherwise... why?

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
Well, I'll be a bit worried knowing that this will probably require a TPM chip...
But as was said during the summit, the plan is to be able to disable the DRM / signed image boot...
I wonder what it'll block?
How will extensions / mods to the OS be handled?

I hope we get the proper access to the chip too so we can use less futile tech than DRM like storing our own crypto keys and such...

In the mean time there is no magic bullet, it's been a cat&mouse game for the last 25 years, people will put serial numbers, other will copy or crack them, and then level 2 ! ... ;-)

Last edited by R-R; 2010-01-12 at 19:58.

I have this vague feeling that I heard something about having to reboot to enable/disable DRM, possibly even loading another OS, although I could be mistaken. Is this understood to be the case?
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

Look for me in the firing squad ready to shoot down TPM on sight. DRM is one thing, TPM has no excuse to exist. And i still think an imei-dependant code will suffice as security measure (as long as the algorithm isn't published)
But this is all for the future. What about maemo 6?

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
Originally Posted by MrGrim View Post
Look for me in the firing squad ready to shoot down TPM on sight. DRM is one thing, TPM has no excuse to exist. And i still think an imei-dependant code will suffice as security measure (as long as the algorithm isn't published)
But this is all for the future. What about maemo 6?
But DRM is broken from the start without a TPM chip, and yes, I'd be firing with you.

EDIT: even with a TPM chip someone will somehow figure out a way to decrypt the app after installation, root the OS, or access the files... It's basically a waste of battery and time to please an industry who doesn't get it to apparently lure more users... FAIL.

It's a bit more complex for apps but audio / video is going to be impossible to secure until we get chips in our brains. In the end, even if the DRM was actually working, you would just have to tap on the screen's wire directly, just before the output, or create a 1:1 mapped camera in the worst case. Professional pirates will always have a reason to build such a thing...

And don't get me started on the new DECE alliance...

Last edited by R-R; 2010-01-12 at 20:21.

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
Heavy gunner reporting for duty as well
zsh|xmms2|fcron|gtar|gcoreutils

Talking as a wanabee developer, what's the plan for this? Is there any copy protection for OVI in place? If not, will there be one for Maemo 5? Maemo 6? Any official info/links?
MfEfolders - Enable/disable MfE sync on a folder by folder basis; locally rename mail folders