I see there is a application called irreco in the works, it uses the IR transmitter to be able to emulate being a general universal remote for mostly TV's and stuff.

It looks a bit too complicated for me to want to mess with right now, lots of steps involved in getting it to install/work and then even more to find your tv set.

The N900 is like the swiss army knife of mobile devices, and while it would be cool to be able to substitute my tv remote in a pinch with my phone I thought of another IR device that I would love to use even more.

My Nikon D70, it has a IR receiver so you can trigger the shutter from a distance, really good for HDR shots and a few other things, I figure this should be easy as the remote to do this is just 1 button and one frequency.

If somebody can track down that command for the Nikon and make it into a simple desktop widget you can mash to send the IR signal I would be super happy.

Chances of me having camera on hand and not having that remote (left in bag or left at home) are much higher than not having a TV remote, and no need for some big program to import IR commands or make a custom UI. Just need a single widget.

If any of you awesome developers and fellow photographers are up to the task please let me know, I'll be happy to test.

Brainstorm item: http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...l_dslr_signals

Last edited by chemist; 2010-02-22 at 19:36. Reason: changed title

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ViciousXUSMC For This Useful Post:
Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Nice Idea

Please read through my signature @Brainstorm
and create a proposal (Problem+Solution) at http://maemo.org/community/brainstorm/

Thank you

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Here's the tech description for Nikon cameras:

http://www.bigmike.it/ircontrol/

I'm not familiar with irreco to make it into something useful, but it's a start.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
I don't know how to add additional commands to the irreco db, but here is the LIRC config file:
http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/nikon/ML-L3

You could take the timings from attila's link to improve this lirc config file.

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

Last edited by twaelti; 2010-01-08 at 10:40.

The Following User Says Thank You to twaelti For This Useful Post:
Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Just need a single widget.
I think the problem is to do it without irreco, a direct signal input for single action for different camera types.

The Following User Says Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
No idea how it works on the N900 yet - but the code to get it to fire from my Pronto remote is:

0000 006c 0008 0000 004c 042b 0010 003c 0010 0089 0010 0978 004c 042b 0010 003c 0010 0089 0010 042b

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wizbowes For This Useful Post:
That one signal works for many nikon models, also rather than start another thread another wiget/application I would like to see along the same lines is what I would call "easy off"

Basically the N900 version of those little keychain devices that are designed to turn on/off any tv. All it does is you hold down the button and it cycles through all the major power commands for television sets.

I'll just quote what I posted in the irreco thread:

I think this would be another awesome widget style additon to irreco. Just imagine its 2AM you were asleep for a couple of hours and you just woke up from the TV being all loud, the wife must have turned it on when she went to bed. Now you do NOT want to get out of bed to turn it off and you have no idea where the wife stashed the remote. But your phone is next to you.

Your all sleepy eyed and tired, last thing you want to do is navigate all deep into your phone to launch irreco and find the remote settings for your TV (if you ever even got it working )

But if you had this handy dandy widget on one of your desktops you can just mash that cruises through all the power commands, and turns off the TV that would be just awesome. Also you could use it just like the device advertised on tv so you can turn off/on public TV's like in a bar.
I'll submit my ideas to brainstorm a bit later when I find the time, got baby sitting duty to tend too for now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ViciousXUSMC For This Useful Post:
This is an awesome idea. How about for a Canon Rebel as well?

The Following User Says Thank You to mike2k4 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mike2k4 View Post
This is an awesome idea. How about for a Canon Rebel as well?
How about for all available cam-remotes? and stop this being mentioned for every cam...

keep this forum clean please

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
From what I can tell most remotes are available by lirc so they would just need to be added.
zsh|xmms2|fcron|gtar|gcoreutils

The Following User Says Thank You to ruskie For This Useful Post: