Active Topics

I've been using the N900 for about 2 days. In that time, I've probably sent around 25 SMSes, and 3 of them have not been received at the other end.

This could be my phone company, but it's a fairly high failure rate, so I was wondering if anybody else had this problem.

I think all 3 failed messages were sent from a room with fairly low reception, so it's possible that the phone simply had no reception when I tried to send the messages. Other phones, like my Nokia 6110, would say "failed to send ... resending", and try again in 2 minutes time.

Does the N900 attempt to re-send text messages? It's possible that it simply doesn't have the capability, so if a message fails to send, it will just be lost silently.

I'll run a few more tests in the next couple of days to see if I can get it to fail reliably. But just wondering if this is a known issue.

check whether the messages that werent send show a time in the lower right corner. if they do, i think they shouldve been sent.

If it displays a >] (rotated 90 degrees so that the arrow goes like this: \/) it has not been sent or is queud for sending i believe.

i have had an sms that wasnt sent, and it was quietly yes. wouldnt mind if this was reported as a bug because a little DONG such as windows does whenever something goes wrong wouldnt hurt imo.

Hi Devil,

Thanks. Yes, they display a time stamp and they behave exactly as a sent SMS should (the heading if you click them is "SMS - Sent"). So as far as the phone knows, this has been sent correctly. However, the recipient never got them.

I have also tried sending an SMS to an invalid number. When you do that, it shows red and says "failed". As you say, it's still fairly subtle (there is no notification message). But that's a separate issue.

I'd report mine as a bug, but first I'll wait and see if a) anybody else is getting this, and b) I can reproduce it. As it is, I'm just speculating if there is a bug.

Posts: 65 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Eugene, Or
I'd blame that one on a network error.

Whenever i had a "failed" sms, it was silent but never corrected it self when the message was sent subsequently successfully. For instance, my friend received a "happy new year" text from me about 10-12 times. My phone still had the message as failed.

I really don't care if a message fails silently as long as it corrects it self properly.

I concur with Clayton. It's usually the network. This new year's eve I received 4 copies of one SMS, and I remember once I kept receiving the same message for the next consecutive 10 days. Those are the easy ones to detect.. it's more subtle when the message silently disappears, but I've experienced that (fortunately not very often) occasionally over the years, thus using entirely different phones. Less often these days though.