Active Topics

Banned | Posts: 291 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009
The N900 has a 6 out of 10 rating on my scale for indoor pictures. Most pictures I took ended up being fuzzy, overcompressed and grainy. At least red eye didn't seem to be a problem. Taking pictures with one hand is near impossible, because the slider either pops open ifI support the phone from the bottom with my thumb or if I support it from the back, the touch screen gets pushed.

Of course I knew that I should't expect more from the N900 in the camera department, I just wanted to inform people who would want to know the real thing and not sugar coated reviews: don't expect too much from the N900's camera.

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
*mimimimi*
the forum needs a sage button.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to ccc1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
what does a sage button do?

i find the camera on the n900 miles ahead of any other phone camera ive had ever.

i found out last night, its got the best macro video recording ever, it makes all the old movies i've uploaded look old.

see here for example. directly recording one n900 from another in macro mode

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z51-vCa0_Q

The Following User Says Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
definitely better than my N93, faster to capture, a LOT easier to share =)

Just shoot some wonderful video with it instead

And put some sugar on it, will ya!

PS - it's a phone camera. It can't beat a $100 P&S digicam. That's not what it's for, thankfully. It sure can't come close to my 6.1MP Nikon D70

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Scotland
It's a tough call. I too find that indoor pictures look slighly grainy/compressed. Also this issue with the flash leds reflecting off the chrome edging around the camera doesn't help either. As I have noticed this glare appearing on some pictures I've taken.

On the other hand I find that outdoor pictures can looking amazing so long as there is sufficient ambient light. So I can't complain too much.

I agree that sharing on the N900 is quick and easy. I mostly use flickr to upload photos and it is a breeze.

The Following User Says Thank You to pacarey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 352 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Vancouver
The camera is great, I love the flicker upload and vidio, but I agree I am very disappointed with the flash (Indore photos). The n82 may not do video as well but the photo quality with flash is way ahead of the n900.

i love it and the video camera is amazing took some greatvids at godskitchen last satnight with armin van buuren

indoor pics are average at best... outdoor pics look pretty decent and way better than many phones on the market... just keep in mind its a phone cam and not a digicam; ull find its a pretty good one

Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
Originally Posted by OrangeBox View Post
The N900 has a 6 out of 10 rating on my scale for indoor pictures. Most pictures I took ended up being fuzzy, overcompressed and grainy. At least red eye didn't seem to be a problem. Taking pictures with one hand is near impossible, because the slider either pops open ifI support the phone from the bottom with my thumb or if I support it from the back, the touch screen gets pushed.

Of course I knew that I should't expect more from the N900 in the camera department, I just wanted to inform people who would want to know the real thing and not sugar coated reviews: don't expect too much from the N900's camera.
I must say I can take pictures with one hand, its not exactly easy due to the weight of the N900. When I hold it in one hand I naturally have my thumb on the back so it can't slide.

I agree on the quality but it really REALLY is a tiny lens and a lot of people use MUCH worse quality and happily upload them to their blogs, flickr, etc. Sure I wish it could compete to a low-end P&S but its just not realistic, it would have to be a lot bigger and cost a fortune.

My Websites
CSD Projects - Flickr - UAE4Maemo (UAE4All Compatibility List)

Favourite N900 Applications
Picodrive - UAE4All

Please post your UAE4All compatibility reports. Even better, post them to my UAE4Maemo site!
Not sure how UAE4All works such as mouse emulation? Read the FAQ.

The Following User Says Thank You to Alex Atkin UK For This Useful Post:

Tags
n900 sux as x-mas camera