Notices

I recently discovered that on the zaurus it is possible to have available locally the whole wikipedia (or wordnet...) by the zbedic project.
I know the 770 is tipically an internet device, but i found myself often out of net connection and to have the wiki handy would be wonderful.
any ideas??

thanks!

alessandro

You can download a wikipedia dvd and make it available on a PC with a provided program (works natively in windows and through wine in linux). Access is via web browser. Don't know about a solution for 770 only, wikipedia is bigger than 2GByte anyway .

Bye, tira.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by alexxx
I recently discovered that on the zaurus it is possible to have available locally the whole wikipedia (or wordnet...) by the zbedic project.
I know the 770 is tipically an internet device, but i found myself often out of net connection and to have the wiki handy would be wonderful.
any ideas??

thanks!

alessandro
Yes, zbedic is a great program. I have the Wikipedia on my Archos 430 (having a 30 GB hard disk can be an advantage after all ) and have found myself actually using it on occasion.

However, zbedic is a QT-based program and will never work on a GTK-only device such as the 770.

<abraham_simpson_voice>
For shame...
</abraham_simpson_voice>

Posts: 102 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Sep 2006 @ Manchester
you can also put wikipedia on an ipod. http://encyclopodia.sourceforge.net/en/index.html

their data file is 1.5GB, but you could make smaller data file be only including the most popular pages, or only certain catergories.

is there anywhere to start a bounty for this to be done for the 770?