Active Topics

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Alexandria, VA, USA
Have you experienced this? If so, what did you do to fix it?

When I read an article at the The Washington Post Opera shows me the first page of the article. When I select the link of the next page, Opera crashes.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
The linerider site goes wacko on me. Flash is usually the culprit, or any other type or version of tech that the tablet doesn't support. Sometimes it's specific code in the site that identifies browsers as well. For instance, the lugnuts at wellsfargo.com refuse to allow Opera. So much for banking on the go...

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by talmage
Try enabling virtual memory to see if that makes any difference. If it makes no difference, your best bet would be to open a bug in the Maemo Bugzilla.

Originally Posted by talmage

When I read an article at the The Washington Post Opera shows me the first page of the article. When I select the link of the next page, Opera crashes.
Not necessarily in the next link, but soon enough it does crash... alas, Opera for the 770 is not 100% robust. With the Washingtong Post pages the Minimo browser does much, much better. But Minimo, of course, has its own set of problems... though, now, in its 3rd or 4th release has come a long way!

--Denis

Originally Posted by talmage View Post
First of all, I filed a bug report https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=936.

Some months later, one of the bug wranglers offered me a number of suggestions. I tried disabling javascript before visiting www.washingtonpost.com. That did the trick. Opera didn't crash. Then I enabled javascript and visited www.washingtonpost.com again. Opera crashed, as predicted.

Sigh. I'm OK with that, sort of. It's not maemo's job to fix Opera. I'll switch to minimo if I can figure out how to get it into my 770.

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
you could probably update your 770 to the latest hacker edition of os2007 with microB preinstalled. No more opera bugs

Originally Posted by phi View Post
you could probably update your 770 to the latest hacker edition of os2007 with microB preinstalled. No more opera bugs
Yes. I'm considering that but I'll need proof that it works before I do.

I installed microB on my OS2006 770 this afternoon. It's a less stable than Opera. According to the new "Hidden" menu, I have three choices for browser engine: Mozilla, Opera, and Webcore. With javascript enabled, all of them crash when I visit www.washingtonpost.com. Webcore got through two pages of a front page article before it crashed loading the third page. The Mozilla engine seems less stable than that. It just now crashed on the front page. It's crashed about half the time on startup.

FWIW, I have VM turned on and set to 64MB. One of the previous posters suggested I turn VM on.

Hmm...I'll have to try and load WaPo on the 770 tonight when I get home and see.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
This may be no consolation, but I read the Washington Post every day from my N800 and have never had a problem.

Washington Post runs fine on my 770 with the latest OS2007HE with microb. Even popped up the stupid ad ok. This was tested this morning.