Active Topics

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
I know the N900 has good potencial and alot of capabilities, but i'm wondering what everyone is throwing at this device video-wise. I managed to play alot of stuff that i have out of the box with the default player (many mp4, divx, xvid files).

The highest quality video i made it play so far (without lagging) is this:

Name: Avatar.Trailer.2.avi
Duration: 3mn 30s
File size: 80.7 MiB
Format: MPEG-4 Visual
Codec ID: XVID
Resolution: 800x480
Video Bitrate: 2 981 Kbps
Audio Format: MP3
Audio Bitrate: 224 Kbps
Sample Rate: 44 Khz

The picture quality is really HD-like on the N900...I encoded this from the 1080p quicktime file.

Post your results !!!

Originally Posted by Jack6428 View Post
I know the N900 has good potencial and alot of capabilities, but i'm wondering what everyone is throwing at this device video-wise. I managed to play alot of stuff that i have out of the box with the default player (many mp4, divx, xvid files).

The highest quality video i made it play so far (without lagging) is this:

Name: Avatar.Trailer.2.avi
Duration: 3mn 30s
File size: 80.7 MiB
Format: MPEG-4 Visual
Codec ID: XVID
Resolution: 800x480
Video Bitrate: 2 981 Kbps
Audio Format: MP3
Audio Bitrate: 224 Kbps
Sample Rate: 44 Khz

The picture quality is really HD-like on the N900...I encoded this from the 1080p quicktime file.

Post your results !!!
Can you please tell me which application you used to encode the film?

More particularly I want an application that will encode MKV files in AVI files.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Originally Posted by inzimam View Post
Can you please tell me which application you used to encode the film?

More particularly I want an application that will encode MKV files in AVI files.
Do you use windows or linux. For windows app then google search for FormatFactory. It is a free opensource app. It can covert almost any video format to anything you like. Very fast and you can also select the quality as well.

http://format-factory.en.softonic.com/

If you're too lazy to look for it then click on the link above. *THAN* me if you like my idea Enjoy

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to maxximuscool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
In my experience with FF above is that it sometimes fails miserably with MKV files. I am still at a loss to explain why a simple MKV container does so much damage to apps and why same codec fails over MKV. Seems simple enough.

Anyway, it randomly changes my video from 10 minutes to 40, along with sound (would be funny if it didn't take forever to transcode), sometimes outputs a desync video with video at 200 FPS and normal audio.

It does, however, hold its own with most other formats and does a wonderful job outputting MP4 for N900. Use the "search forum" for a very helpful post with screenshots of recommended settings for best quality on N900. Works a treat, especially from HD (SD/576i is fuzzy, 720p is OK).

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
Xilisoft Video Converter Platinum 5 is a much better app... I use it in combination with Virtual Dub and Magic Movie Edit Pro Plus 14

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
I recommend you to try the free app "XVID4PSP" from winnydows.com. It's great.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
I've added an "n900" preset to tablet-encode which, combined with the (slightly slower) --hq switch looks fantastic at 800x480 2000kbps DivX with 192kbps audio. From a 720p source it's amazing.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 186 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Austin TX
Not that I am lazy to look or maybe I am but is there a site to download already formatted N900 video clips of popular items like movie trailers?

Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
I've added an "n900" preset to tablet-encode which, combined with the (slightly slower) --hq switch looks fantastic at 800x480 2000kbps DivX with 192kbps audio. From a 720p source it's amazing.
How'd you use this?

Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
Do you use windows or linux. For windows app then google search for FormatFactory. It is a free opensource app. It can covert almost any video format to anything you like. Very fast and you can also select the quality as well.

http://format-factory.en.softonic.com/

If you're too lazy to look for it then click on the link above. *THAN* me if you like my idea Enjoy
Can't get this to work, any recommendation on which settings to use?

I'm converting a 720p MKV

Tags
n900 video quality test