Posts: 25 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Montreal
After seeing the multiple threads about some people being happy and some disappointed about N900, i noticed that we are not all the same market and that some got mostly what they were expecting and some not.

On my side, i got the N900 because the N810 had the Skype feature that i love but no phone/data feature, and also that i could stay online in my chats instead of always SMSing. And since i have a pro account at Skype, i can make calls using the data plan and for free with a wifi wherever i am (NO ROAMING!!!)...
But also all the other computer stuff i can do with it, it's like having a extension to my technical life...

I wanted to know what was the factor that made you want this device in the first place? And if you got what you expected...

This could help the next person to either identify himself your criteria to either get it or not...
Might be better this way than some saying it sucks and having totally other areas of interest than others that love it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phlook For This Useful Post:
I had an N800 that did almost everything I needed as an IT professional. The only problem with it was that it did not have a phone application.

The N900 does. So it is now perfect for me.

Posts: 7 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Melbourne, Australia
Hi there, first post on this forum. Why did I get the N900? Because i wanted to develop software for a new phone before there are thousands upon thousands of apps already.

plus I wanted a device that would keep me always online so I can basically carry around my internet life while I am spending time in my real life.

I got an N900 so I can make fun of people with their Iphone's.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Diavoli For This Useful Post:
been an s60 user since 2003, symbian is stale now so fancied a change. the old magic i felt for s60 is now back with maemo 5

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crail For This Useful Post:
Well, I like this phone very much, and see it can do so many things.....but I am kind of 50/50 on where to get this phone now. Seeing so many good thing and bad thing at the same time. Just make me feel so worry....I know this phone is not cheap,.. just hate going thru all the trouble if i happened to get the bad one.

..... just not sure about it.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 641 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Switzerland
I've been an N800 user for two years, and it really bothered me to carry around a cell phone (SE k750i) AND my tablet. The N900 was exactly the device I needed, since it was kind of a convergence device between a cell phone (which I don't use a lot, so many of the issues it *may* have don't apply to me) and a PDA, which runs Linux (a very important point for me).

as a bonus, the fact that it has a keyboard is a huge plus compared to my N800 (here it's the UNIX/Linux system administrator speaking: much easier to ssh into my servers with a physical keyboard).

The Following User Says Thank You to lorelei For This Useful Post:
I got the n900 because I'm a big fan of the Free software philosophy.

(Obviously I'm not so much of a big fan that I absolutely could not live with some closed bits, even if I don't like closed software, though.)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mannakiosk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
1) My N70 was almost dead.
2) I wanted a new phone for some time.
3) The N900 does everything i wanted lol.

I got it because I wanted a portable computer that I could take anywhere and that could also take calls.

Really, a cell phone is somewhat secondary for me because I can't take it in where I work anyways, so I wanted it as a secondary function to another device. I'll probably use my N900 more as a computer than I will as a cell phone.

Tags
none of, your business