Active Topics

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I don't know... while everybody else is pleased with the browsing experience on the N900, it drives me nuts. While usually the first bits of a page load quickly, it takes ages for a page to finish loading. During this time, the load applet shows a maximum CPU usage and the browser is non-responsive: clicking on links don't work, neither does double-tapping to zoom in or trying to get out of full screen mode. I just sit there and stare at empty checkered background - or a black screen, because sometimes it takes so long that the screen goes black.

Trying to open the bookmarks during this period is also impossible: The bookmark view does open, but it's empty and stays empty until CPU-usage goes down.

I tried to empty the cache and restart the N900, doesn't help.

Even the default Google-link that you find on a fresh device: It loads, and for all I can tell it is complete, but the CPU is working and working and working for several seconds...

Both my S60 handset and my N810/N800s are faster.

What's going on?

EDIT:

This is the first 2 lines of top after google start page has loaded (and, as far and i can tell, loaded completely):
Code:
  PID  PPID USER     STAT   RSS %MEM %CPU COMMAND
 2516   923 user     R    18128  7.3 61.1 /usr/bin/browser                                               
 6647  1224 user     S    32388 13.1 24.8 /usr/sbin/browserd -s 6647 -n browserui

Last edited by benny1967; 2009-12-10 at 13:37. Reason: add output of 'top'

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 117 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Hardenberg
I wonder, as a 810 owner in my case browsing on my N900 is way faster. Same websites and internet connectios I presume? Put cache on 40Mb? Not to many apps opened?

Posts: 303 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London UK
Are you using the adblock stuff? I remeber a very similar experience on my N810 with adblock that caused the thing to hang after starting..

Does it do this for the first page you load or for that and all subsequent pages?

I've found my N900 to be much muuuch faster than the N810 but I've not yet installed adblock

The Following User Says Thank You to cpitchford For This Useful Post:
Posts: 127 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Denmark
Unfortunately I'm having exactly the same problems as you. I'm just not getting the Browser experience, I expected from a Internet Device..

I was planning to start a topic about this, but I'll post my issues here so hopefully we can collect the issues, an start reporting this to the right people, and get it fixed.
I've collected some pictures to showcase my problems:

My main issues are:

1) Page loads are too slow, causes high CPU and sometime pages doesn't even load completely.

Here's Maome.org fully loaded, but isn't displaying correctly:

Here's google search loaded, but isn't showing anything:

2) History is completely useless, as it;

* Doesn't remember my history
* Shows the wrong thumbnails
* Doesn't cache the pages, and loads again making history Useless.

I was expecting something like Opera Mini, which is a joy to use!
Especially the back button in Opera Mini is excellent..

Obviously the thumbnail on the right isn't Google:

3) The browser hangs all the time, due to hith CPU load.

Here the menu isn't displaying. This happens all the time, and will sometimes cause the browser to crash:

I'm not running any plugins, have only a few programs installed, and none from Extras-Testing og Devel.
I don't have any other programs running in the background either.
Browser Cache is set to 40 MB, and all my Internet connections are plenty fast, both transfer- and pingwise.

Last edited by real_per; 2009-12-10 at 14:04. Reason: Clarifications

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to real_per For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Looks very odd. History works fine for me - shows the pages browsed this session, with correct thumbnails (though I also wish it didn't do a full reload when you go back). I've had one or two cases of pages not displaying properly though - but very few & far between. It may be worth doing a reflash and see whether that makes a difference.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
real_per, thank you for all the screenshots: this is exactly what I'm seeing here... including the part where menus are not appearing because of high CPU load.

i do not have adblock installed; i also don't have anything from "dangerous" repos.

real_per, I can confirm every single screenshot you posted. I was just too lazy to do the same. They browser behaves exactly the same after a reflash with nothing installed. It's just messy coding.

The biggest issue is the page not loading properly. Just like you said, the page finishes loading and it displays nothing. It stays like that until you decide to scroll around a little which apparently triggers the rendering of the page. After a few seconds the page starts displaying. Really annoying and time consuming.

This is definitely not normal.

Does it make a difference to change the cache size back to the default (5 MB)? benny, have you adjusted your cache size too by any chance?

Originally Posted by kanishou View Post
This is definitely not normal.

Does it make a difference to change the cache size back to the default (5 MB)? benny, have you adjusted your cache size too by any chance?
Are you saying you have never seen this happen on your device?

Cache size doesn't seem to make a difference. I went through all the settings.

I have the issue with the screen appearing blank. A quick 'tap' of the arrow keys usually solves it.

Not ideal, but not a deal breaker for me.