Active Topics

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
http://www.visionobjects.com/product...lder-embedded/

It seems to me this SDK is exactly what I (but apparently not many others) have been dreaming about: a way to make the 770 look yet a little bit more like the Newton MessagePad.

So, come on, Nokia. Get your cash out and buy it already!

interested too.

nokia is already listed as reseller?

http://www.visionobjects.com/partners/resellers/

That would be absolutely awesome! That would be like a dream becoming true!

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by jan@ieper
nokia is already listed as reseller?

http://www.visionobjects.com/partners/resellers/
Yes, but for Symbian or for Linux?

Posts: 94 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ Metro Detroit Michigan USA
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens
http://www.visionobjects.com/product...lder-embedded/

So, come on, Nokia. Get your cash out and buy it already!

<jumping up and down exitedly> I want I want I want I want I want I want. I wonder if that's clear enough?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Future Nokia smartphones will have touch screens, so I can understand the involvement...

Originally Posted by Texrat
Future Nokia smartphones will have touch screens, so I can understand the involvement...
Yes, but that would mean they'd have to buy a license for Symbian also. Let's not draw too much attention to that and have them buy the Linux license first.

I have to admit that I haven't seen anything from that company anywhere, except the non-interactive demo on their site. But if that demo wasn't tweaked (yeah, I know: fat chance), then VisionObjects have some bad-butt HWR-puppy on their hands!

I've taken a peek at the datasheet and the specs and minimal requirements are impressive indeed. a 256 KB footprint for cursive English HWR is pretty low, even Newton-low, and even the language parser isn't that hungry.

Remember: MyScript is not a character recognizer like the current 770 HWR; it is supposed to intelligently parse what you've already written and use that knowledge to more accurately transpose words -- words, not letters -- into meaningful sentences. Now, I'm kinda used to that, because I have Newtons, but for most people this kind of HWR will be a real eye-opener.

This is very interesting. If there is any truth to their website, and one can only hope, then this would be the first handwriting-recognition system that seems to be able to learn to recognize my handwriting (note that I have never seen a Newton so I don't know its capability in that area). The graffiti system on Palm is pretty good, but the kind of writing it needs, although easy enough for people with proper handwriting skills, is incompatible with my, ah, "style".. :-)
(there's a reason I've stuck to keyboards since the age of 15)

Originally Posted by TA-t3
This is very interesting. If there is any truth to their website, and one can only hope, then this would be the first handwriting-recognition system that seems to be able to learn to recognize my handwriting (note that I have never seen a Newton so I don't know its capability in that area). The graffiti system on Palm is pretty good, but the kind of writing it needs, although easy enough for people with proper handwriting skills, is incompatible with my, ah, "style".. :-)
(there's a reason I've stuck to keyboards since the age of 15)
It appears to be basically the same as what the Newtons did/do. Mind you, Newtons did it in 1998, in 8 MB of ROM and 4 MB of RAM. With an interpreted operating system.

The only difference I see, is that Newton HWR is modeless (didn't need a separate input window), but I can live with that.